Emotional issues

Cancer can be emotionally draining, but sharing your feelings can help you and others in your situation. Talk about it here.

Everyone is too busy.

gingercat
Posted by

Me Mimi have always had loved pets and when there time comes we have problem easing their passing that;s just what you do for a loved pet I wish I could do the same for her right now. 

gingercat
Posted by

The hospital called me this morning and I sat with Mimi and she passed she was so cold well it;s game over now 

dottess
Posted by

Very sorry to hear your news.  I did reply to you straight away but didn't go onto the forum first, so I've just found out through the Moderator that you didn't get my message.  I hoped that you had someone to be with and that you should look after yourself and not be alone. Hope you are not on your own this evening.  

gingercat
Posted by

Thank you Dottess, I was not alone last night, as ever I have our two little Yorkies. I'm as wet as water when it comes to these little guys they hugged me in bed last night, in fact once I got back from the hospital they got on my lap and never got off.

I have no idea how you go about a death cert etc...

dottess
Posted by

The hospital should have explained everything to you.  You can always ring for advice from Macmillan, I am sure.  I hope you manage to get everything sorted out without too much trouble and that your life in the future is happy, although I know it must seem very far from that at the moment.

Irene

gingercat
Posted by

I'm just still a bit stunned at the moment, it all happened so quick. Don't get me wrong I'm glad if you can be, that Mimi passed quickly, the last thing I would have wanted was her to have long drawn out death. 

I'm going to take a day or so out before I sort the affairs out. 

dottess
Posted by

You do whatever you feel right.  I am out working all day today but will be thinking of you.

Irene

gingercat
Posted by

spent all morning on the phone trying to sort stuff out, Mimi was disabled after a hit and run and the DWP they were the worst hung on the phone for ages.

dottess
Posted by

Hope you are OK and managing to sort everything out.  Government Departments are awful. Poor Mimi.

dottess
Posted by

I hope you are managing and have been thinking about you.

Irene

dottess
Posted by

Well I went with eagerness on the Moving Forward Course and it was (predictably sorry) not very good.  So, not wanting to waste anyone's time I contacted the organisers and told them the reasons why I would not be attending the other 3 sessions.  Here (North Wales) the numbers of patients attending are very low but they always seem to have the same number of public service workers just sitting in - doing or saying nothing.  I find it most bizarre!  Our first sessions was Nutrition.  But it was aimed at Year 7 with moving little plastic pieces of food into sections.  Our second session was exercise, but quite honestly most of the women there were in such poor shape (including me who cannot lift my left arm very high) - it was geared to our ages and conditions. I enquired about joining a Pilates Group but no-one knew of any.  There was no agenda for the forthcoming weeks but we were told next week was a session of Mindfulness (which filled me with dread as I had endured a 3 month course of this 9 years ago) and talking about the Menopause (yawn!)  I simply do not see moaning about things that happened in the past as Moving Forward.

Anyway, I did not hear about my bone density scan which I waited 4 months for.  No really... I was lucky .... initially it should have been an 8 month wait - so I enquired with my friendly reception at my GP's.  Told I had to get the results from my GP so made the first appointment which was 2 weeks away.  Waited and went to hear that I have osteopenia - which I had never heard of.  My doctor basically explained it was a precursor to osteoporosis but offered me no advice even when I enquired as to whether I should be taking 2 calcium tablets a day (as prescribed on the manufacturers box but not on my prescription) now.  I asked him twice and twice he ignored me.  I mentioned exercise which launched him into the usual diatribe about himself and how he likes to go wandering as a cloud in the mountains.  I tried to bring him back to earth and jokingly said that I didn't think it was a good idea for him and he demanded of me why?  It was a most uncomfortable session and I went home feeling very depressed.  It may sound weak but I did think my results would be OK because as a child I had never broken a bone, neither had any of my family so I thought I might escape as I thought I would escape cancer!  

When I thought about it, I wondered if my GP had sent the results to my consultant and my oncologist who had requested the bone scan.  So I wrote to him asking if he could do this and also if he could give me a copy of the results with some information.  I also requested a flu jab and blood tests to be arranged for my other conditions.  After over a week I heard nothing, so my husband went into the surgery on my behalf with a copy of my letter and spoke to the practice manager, asking at least for an acknowledgement.

Another week passed so I rang the surgery and was met with a barrage of negativity from the receptionist about how the NHS is stretched, how busy they are and how cross my doctor was to receive my letter.  I asked for an appointment to see my doctor, which was made for me later on that day.

A couple of hours later the practice manager rang me to check my email address and told me to look on it.  There was the most badly worded, non-punctuated letter I have ever seen - supposedly from my GP although it was unsigned telling me to go and find another surgery.  I rang straight away and said did this mean that my appointment with him was cancelled but was told no!  As I had to visit the surgery to hand in my repeat prescription I attended the appointment with my husband.  Although we waited for 40 minutes, I was not called by my GP and went to reception to say that it was obvious what he was doing and I wrote him a note on a copy of his letter. He has been my GP for 15 years.

I would like comments from other patients as to the After-Care they have received from the Surgery, whether good or bad - as I am mystified as to how a doctor can behave like this!