Emotional issues

Cancer can be emotionally draining, but sharing your feelings can help you and others in your situation. Talk about it here.

Feeling scared

Jacquiw10
Posted by

I have been free of cancer for ten years but am feeling very scared it has returned.  I have felt sick and loss of appetite with an uncomfortable feeling in my right side.  I am waiting to see the consultant and the inevitable tests.  Does the fear of cancer ever leave you?  How do others cope with waiting as stress makes it worse?  Any advice would be great

Thanks

Jac

Jac

GRANNY59
Posted by

Hi Jac welcome to the forum.

No I dont believe that the fear ever leaves us and we get aches and pains and we immediately jump to the  worst conclusions and I think thats perfectly normal and I think we are all the same.

This could be absolutely anything with the symptoms you describe and could be many things before Cancer but I understand that you will be worried the waiting for tests etc is the pits. Stress does make it worse you are right but how do we not stress? I think the trick is to keep busy and the time waiting passes a bit quicker.

We are here for you while you wait and hopefully we will all be celebrating with you if this turns out to nothing serious for you.

Sending very best wishes and some huge big hugs. xxxxxx 

Jacquiw10
Posted by

Gail

thanks so much for your kind words and thoughts.  The logical part of my brain knows it could be many things other than cancer but it is hard not to think the worst!

Even when l had cancer l didn’t feel ill so this is harder in some ways.  

This forum is great as you can share thoughts with others who really understand 

Thanks so much for your kindness 

Jac12

Jac

bellabongo
Posted by

I know Jacqui, 

I have recurrent womb cancer (on my omentum, all my womb gubbins out since Nov 16) and am on chemo. Now I have stabbing pains in my lower right abdomen so of course, I wonder if it is cancer. Who knows. I will get a scan end of September and we'll see. I think with most people who have had cancer that same old fear is there. However, we tend to forget that there are treatments, indeed, new treatments all the time, so it is likely if it happened to be cancer it would get treated. I always think I have to look at what is in front of me and deal with that. Tomorrow is a chemo number 5 day for me. So that is what I'll deal with.

By the way, I am cutting out lactose from my diet as it can give you bloating, sickness, etc - as per the NHS site- as it says chemo can bring on lactose intolerance.

Lots of love

Alison xxx 

Jacquiw10
Posted by

Thanks Alison. Your post put things in perspective!  Hope you get through the chemo tomorrow!

lots of love 

Jac12

Jac

bellabongo
Posted by

Thanks Jac 12!

Alison xxx 

stacey1
Posted by

its completely normal to be worried bout every ache and pain It would would be completely abnormal if you did not worry   Just take things one day at a time   Easier said than done, but communicating on this board helps.  don't know how you could keep your mind off things because whateer you do you will realize tht your just doing it to keep your mind off the thing your trying to divert from.

Jacquiw10
Posted by

Thanks Stacey. The forum does help as so many people share the same fears.  I have been a bit better today and have hospital appointment tomorrow. 

Thanks for your kind words 

Jac

Jac