Diagnosed at a young age

If you're diagnosed with cancer at a young age, you might have very specific concerns as to its impact - this group's a space for those diagnosed at a young age to share and talk about their experiences with others of a similar age.

Diagnosed with bladder cancer when 19 back in 2014, large amount of hair loss

M24busk
Posted by

After being diagnosed at the age of 19 back in 2014, since then unfortunately I’ve found myself noticing the amount of hair loss that has dramatically gone by.. has any other males at a young age who have been diagnosed found themselves loosing a lot of hair? Either due to there treatment or the amount of stress/ frustration that comes with being diagnosed? As odd as it sounds I’m kinda hoping to get some tips on how to improve my hair growth or even where to look with purchasing a males wig? Any recommendation or if anyone can realtate to this feel free to comment as this has knocked my confidents massively! 

Much apprecitaed

Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi M24busk

Hey, I am sorry I cannot help on this one, my treatment thus far has barely affected my hair but I am a lungy. I just wanted to bump your post in case some others missed it the first time and may be able to offer some support and give you a hand of friendship.

Loss of confidence after diagnosis is very common, I think because we feel our bodies let us down and we loose a little trust in it.

If no one else can offer some advise on the hair or anything please can I suggest you ask this in the ask a nurse section as they may be able to suggest some things to help. I have seen people say that there is an entitlement to a wig for cancer patients so could be worth asking about too and exploring.

I hope this helps a little

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
nickfreckle
Posted by

Although it wasn't cancer related, I started to get the hereditary hair loss in my early 20's. I decided to take control of it, and just got the clippers out on it. 

Sometimes just by you taking control and making it your choice can help psychologically. 

A lady I was sitting next to at my last chemo appointment did the same. Her hair started thinning, so she grabbed the bull by the horns and clippered it all off. 

What chemo are you on? I'm bladder cancer also and on Cistplatin and Gemcetabine, and they're not usually associated with hair loss. Oddly enough, parts of my scalp that have been smooth with zilch hair growth for years, now have a downy fluff on them. 

Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi Nick

I hope you are doing well?

Yes, I think us feeling like we can be back in control is something we crave so very much.

I had 2.5 rounds of chemotherapy only last May/June alongside radiotherapy. I had like you cisplatin and mine was Vinorelbine. I got swapped to carboplatin for the 3rd one as me and cisplatin really didn't make friends! (lots of vomiting). I did get some slight thinning but nothing noticeable. I just found I had to shave my legs less often/wax my eyebrows less frequently.

Hopefully that is a good sign that it may be coming back. Often I see people say that temporarily their hair can grow back a different texture than it was originally, but this normally changes back to normal.

I am just waiting on pathology to see if I will be sent on the chemotherapy route again, I really hope not! Though the most effective diet I have ever done so there has to be a silver lining seen in everything.

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
nickfreckle
Posted by

Fingers are crossed for you so you don't have to have more!