Chemotherapy

A support group for everything about chemotherapy, being treated and side effects. Tell others about your experiences and get answers to your questions.

Paclitaxel and carboplatin chemo

Margi54
Posted by
Having my 1st session out of 6 this monday for peritoneal cancer coming from an unknown primary source. Can anyone tell me how they coped having same chemo? I know it affects everyone differently, but if anyone would like to share their experiences on it, much appreciated x
hiloa
Posted by

Hi Margi,

I'm afraid my husband hasn't had this type of chemo so I can't help you with this but maybe you could try posting in the peritoneal cancer group as there may be other members there who have had the same combination of chemo?  

I really hope your first session goes okay.  The oncology nurses should explain everything to you and outline all the possible side effects and give you meds to help with possible nausea etc.  My husband has had several differenet combinations of chemo now and, although there are some days when he does feel pretty rough the side effects have been managed pretty well.  

Always tell the oncology staff of any concerns or side effects you have had - it helps them give you the right stuff to manage them.  

Sorry I can't help but I hope you get some answers in the other group or someone else who has had the same treatment sees your post.

Kindest regards,

Hiloa x

Twirly
Posted by

Hi Margi,

Sorry you haven't had a reply yet but this group doesn't get many visitors. It might be useful for you to join the Peritoneal Cancer and/or Unknown Primary groups so you can meet people in a similar situation to yours.

I didn't have the same chemo combination as you're going to have but I did have a platinum-based one, Cisplatin. My reaction to that wasn't pleasant - vomiting for a couple of days despite the anti-sickness drugs they gave me, nausea and loss of appetite. I also developed mouth ulcers and oral thrush, for which they gave me meds that actually worked!

I do know that this website has detailed information about all the cancer drugs - in fact my oncologist printed out the relevant pages for me before I started my chemo. If you click on the Cancer Information heading in the banner near the top of this page, you should be able to find what you need to know from there on.

On the practical side, take something to read and/or listen to because having chemo is boring! You may be able to lie on a bed, so you could have a nap to pass the time, but mostly, people are sat in an armchair, hooked up to an intravenous drip. This will be attached to a trolley so you take the whole lot with you when you need the loo! So a word of advice - wear loose trousers or jogging bottoms otherwise you may find things a bit tricky. 

I do hope this helps a bit, but do come back whenever you want to. It would be good to hear how it went. Best of luck for tomorrow.

Love & hugs,

Twirly xxx

steph79
Posted by

Hi Margi,

I have had and am continuing to have these chemotherapy drugs. I got all sorts of side effects with the first round. The first cycle of the first round hit me worst. I was very sick and not too good with it. It zapped all my energy, I had mouth ulcers, tingly fingers and toes, and was good for nothing for about 2 and a half weeks and just when I started to feel normal it was only 3 days before I had to go again but it worked , and like I said the first one, for me anyway, was the worst. But it does effect everyone differently. I am now on my second round of it and have developed an allergic reaction to carboplatin. But this second round wasn't as bad as the first round and I haven't been sick. It's all very much trial and error, if you get a side effect no matter how small or how long it effects you for, tell them! You do not have to suffer. For every side effect they have a pill to combat it to make your life as normal as possible while having it. I was silly I never told them quite how bad I felt, thought it was normal and that there was nothing they could do. I am also having chemo on Monday, my 3rd cycle of my 2nd round and am panicking after the last one with the reaction, but they have given me a load of pills to take today to try to combat that. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Big hugs

Steph xxx

Margi54
Posted by
Dear Hiloa, thankyou for your advice, i hope your husband gets on well, thoughts with you all, Margi x
Margi54
Posted by
Dear Steph, Thankyou for your reply, I will take all the advice given onboard. I guess i wasnt expecting anyone to say it was all hunky dorey, but at least like you said it gets abit easier as it goes on! We all get through it somehow i guess, just have to be as strong as possible. All the best to you and all of us going through it. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing, and I will you too. Lots of love, Margi xx
Margi54
Posted by
Hi Twirly, I'm not sure if i replied to u in the right section, (I'm not very good at all this as I'm new to it) (sites and computer stuff)! Just want to say thanks for your advice every bit counts! I do hope you get on ok, it's lovely to have this place to come to to share with others. All the best, and hope to speak soon, love from Margi x
minard
Posted by

Hi margi

How are you? I've been thinking of you and hoping that you're OK. Sent you a personal message yesterday and hope you got it.

Caroline x

lis
Posted by

Hi am just halfway thru 4 cycles of this following endometrial cancer which was dealt with by a radical hysterectomy last December.I was really nervous about the chemo but it was actually not as bad as I thought. The nurses in the chemo unit explained everything they were doing and answered all my questions. Mine takes over 4 hours to run through but they gave me a large dose of antihistamine first to prevent allergic reactions and that made me quite sleepy. I haven't felt sick just three days after the chemo my legs felt like I had run a marathon this lasted for about four days. The only other issue is the steroids they give you to prevent sickness give you constipation so be prepared! Finally I hope you know about losing your hair mine started falling out exactly two weeks after my first chemo and had all gone after 4 days. This is what has upset me the most which silly really but I recommend a website called annabandana as they have great range of bandanas and scarves and hats. I have quite a selecthrough and have not actually worn my wig yet.

I hope all goes well for you try and stay positive we will get through this!

Mary Elisabeth

scrampie
Posted by

Hi lis. just joined this group and saw your post, you sound like a positive person so hoped you would share your experiences with me as you have gone before me,so to speak!

I am starting chemo (paclitaxel,carboplatin) on 15th May. I had endometrial cancer may 2009 had radical hysterectomy.3 years later the cancer recurred top of vagina. 2012 had pelvic radiotherapy and 2 brachytherapies which failed. since then more nodules have grown in the same place and now I have a secondary in my left lung. They tell me they are aiming to cure the lung and tp shrink the others with a view to surgery. however, my immediate concern is the treatment and findinding helpful tips on how to alleviate side effects should they occur, cheers lis. i do hope this post finds you well. Nita. x

Nita

Daizydoo
Posted by
Hi Margi54 and Nita, just to let you know I'm three cycles down with one to go of chemo. I'm on three hours of Taxol and one hour of Carboplatin each cycle. As others have said you are given anti sickness, antihistamine and steroids before each session to hopefully eliminate most side effects. I have had a few but nothing that has made me take to my bed even for a day. My main one has been pain in my leg joints which starts two days after chemo and lasts for about five days, each day getting less and each cycle has been less intense. I started to loose my hair about fourteen days after first session and by a few days after the second was coming out in handfuls so I decided to shave it off as at least I knew where I stood. I do have a wig but find the various beenie hats with the addition of brightly coloured scarves or turban type of hats again with scarves added are really comfortable. I'm 65 years young and was diagnosed in January with cancer of the womb. I had a hysterectomy on the 20th January and was told it was stage 1a but a high grade due to the aggressive nature of the cancer, hence now having chemotherapy and possibly radiotherapy afterwards purely as a precaution as my CT scan afterwards was clear. The chemo is nothing like as bad as I had thought. I feel a bit under the weather for a week after the cycle, having the leg pain, a few spots around my nose, a bit of indigestion but other than that the next two weeks I feel fine. People keep telling me how well I look, in fact one of my daughters friends saw me in the local supermarket and told her how well I looked and that I was really rocking the turban.....yes I liked that! Please don't worry about what is to come, any side effects the chemo nurse will relay to the doctor and they always try to give you something to ease the effect. I have found everyone on the various discussion groups on this site really helpful as they have been there or are there now so very supportive. Good luck to both of you with your treatment, it is very doable, sending hugs and best wishes.....Pat xx
scrampie
Posted by

Hi Steph,

Hope you are well and thanks for posting on this website. I've just joined and am starting my chemo on 15th of May..........all information from you and others is most welcome and re-assuring. thanks a million everyone!!. keep smiling. nita.xxxx

Nita

scrampie
Posted by

Hi Pat,

Thanks so much for posting some details about this treatment, its funny how knowing what might come helps in coping. Just thinking about you all and sending loads of love and good wishes. roll on the 15th when I can get the first dose over and then its just 5 more to go and counting!!

will be posting you all about how I am getting on. keep in touch and keep smiling,xxxxxx Nita

Nita

Daizydoo
Posted by
Hi again Nita, I'm having my final cycle on the 15th so will be thinking of you and sending you positive vibes as I'm sat there. Just listen to your body, as I said I'm not at my best for a week after, my husband says I lose my sparkle but bounce back pretty quick after that. The actual process is nothing to worry about in fact it's just a bit boring so take plenty to read or music to listen to. I normally start about 9-9.30 a.m. and finish around 5p.m. My family have called in at various times throughout the day and have all commented that is nothing like they imagined and is quite a nice atmosphere and the staff are lovely. I have my treatment at The Christie Nr Manchester, where are you due to have yours? Keep positive and sending you love and best wishes...Pat xx
scrampie
Posted by

Hi Pat,

I'm at the Christie too!!  I have'nt received a firm appointment for the chemo yet but Prof. Jayson said thurs or friday of next week. I am going for my kidney function test on monday morning (12th) so I hope to start the treatment that same week?

what do you think.....does it take longer for the kidney results to be examined. I'm thinking I might have to wait until the following week although I got the impression Prof wanted treatment asap. xx

Nita