Chemotherapy

A support group for everything about chemotherapy, being treated and side effects. Tell others about your experiences and get answers to your questions.

GemCarbo for terminal NSCLC

Alimor
Posted by

My Dad is 86 and was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell lung cancer (adenocarcinoma) in February after having two pleural effusions and a VAT procedure to stop the fluid building up again.  They have said he has about 6 months.  He isn't in a lot of pain but gets very breathless and tired, he also has blood streaked sputum.

The chemo doctor told us on Monday that if he wants chemo (GemCarbo) it would have to be started in two weeks time, Dad has had blood taken for the pre-chemo blood checks.  He has been told that it could give him another two months and none of us know what would be the best choice to have chemo and suffer from any side effects that might ruin the time he has left or  it may relieve his breathlessness.  If he doesn't have it then he could carry on as he is at the moment I am taking him out and about when he feels like it and he still has a bit of a social life.  He loves his food at the moment after a couple of months of not feeling hungry and then everything losing its taste and feeling like cardboard and I don't want that to happen again.

Have spoken to the hospice nurse but Dad is still not sure what way to go.

If anyone has been in this situation or has any advice ......