what to do before start chemotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Dear Fellow Travellors,

What do you suggest someone do prior to beginning chemoT? Any tips to persevere? Thanks, x

• Hi and a warm welcome to the community. It can be scary starting chemo, but in many cases it is not as bad as the stories you hear. I sailed through six weeks of my chemo without any problems. It helps if you are reasonably fit and advised you stay well hydrated with plenty of water. For the sessions, make sure you wear loose and comfortable clothes. Take plenty of snacks and drinks as it can be a long day. Something to keep you occupied. You should be given anti sickness tablets, so take them as prescribed. They are to help prevent  sickness, rather than stop it. Get a good quality mouthwash and use regularly as this can help prevent mouth sores. Once you get the first one out of the way, you will be fine. There are many different types of chemo, so if you let us know what you are being treated for, we can point you to a group where the members will have experience of your particular cancer. Any questions or problems navigating the site, hit the reply button below and ask. I hope all goes well for you. Best wishes

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Dear Riley,

Thanks so much for your post. Good advice indeed! I have a treatment that include EC followed by D. Abbreviations for the drugs they will use. That is Epirubicin and Cyclophasphmide for 4; docetaxel for 4 thereafter. Best wishes, Lisa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Rosiepea

just to add to the previous reply, take a good book with you. Good luck. 
    paul

• Hi . Sorry for the delayed response. Could I point you to the friendly and active Breast Group . There you will find a lot of experience of the chemo you will be going through. Click the link to get to the group, join and post your concerns there by starting a new discussion. I am sure you will get lots of help and support there. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Having had some amount of experience, a general rule is that the better shape you are going into treatment, the better off you will be during and after. It is never too late to exercise a bit and keep your nutrition up. Spiritual and psychological preparation are also helpful. There are most likely nutritionists and perhaps physical therapists who can counsel you on what is best for you, as your case is similar to many others - but not identical. You are an individual and at some level, we all need individual treatment and advise.

Basically, good nutrition (with supplements if doctor agrees), and lots of hydration - that can be crucial. Here is hoping for the best for you! 

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.