Foods on Chemotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hello Everyone,

My husband has been diagnosed with stomach cancer which has spread to the peritoneal. He is about to start Chemo (EOX) and I would appreciate all your input/knowledge on what foods I am to avoid whilst the treatment is ongoing. 
websites, info leaflets and your personal experiences are extremely welcome. 

• Hi

Not familiar with Stomach cancer or the EOX regime but below is the NHS Food Safely leaflet for chemotherapy in general.

Uncertain if any of these are off limits anyway due to the cancer being in the stomach, hopefully another more experienced member will comment ?

G n' J  (breast group)

• I do not have any experience of the drugs mentioned either, but was fascinated to see that list of foods. I have never seen it before, and glad I haven't! I have spent the last 2 years having weekly chemo and have indulged in blue cheeses, soft cheeses, probiotic yoghourts, indian takeaways and the odd soft ice-cream from a van. What would life be like without some of them!

Also one of the most exciting developments in science has been the growing awareness of the vital importance of our gut flora to health, both physical and mental. There are definite links to the health and variety of our gut flora to our immune systems and some of the banned foods are positive for gut bacteria. Strengthening our immune system to help tackle cancer is sensible.

I am not saying that the advice should be ignored, and there are reasons for the suggestions, but I wonder how much the advice has been updated in the light of more recent developments? Maybe the answer is to beware of them whilst having actual chemo and in the days around it, but indulge in rest periods? Maybe I have been lucky and have been taking risks without knowing it, but at least I have enjoyed my food in the main!