‘Chemo Brain’ - how do I know whether confusion and memory problems are not dementia?

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hello, I care for my 88 year old mum who is undergoing Mini R-CHOP for B Cell Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. I’m hoping that the ‘hive-mind’ on here can help!

Generally, mum is doing extremely well now after a very rough start but I’m a little worried about what her doctor has referred to as Chemo Brain. She gets confused and suffers very poor short term memory ability. It comes and goes, sometimes she remembers every thing but at other time’s she can ask me the same question a dozen times or more in quick succession. Also, I can find things put away in strange places. Before she was ill, the GP had tested for dementia and found no sign, just normal age related decline. 

What should we expect to happen? Will the problems go when the chemo has ended? Should we be concerned about dementia?

• Hi again .

Mini R-CHOP is still strong stuff, hard work and will effect her cognitive abilities.

Chemo Brain is a real thing and for me, due to my treatments spanning a number of years was with me on and off all the time.

I had it in cycles depending on where I was in treatment, but what my wife got me to do was keep a journal..... just putting down stuff we were talking about, things that came into my mind and every now and then we would go through the journal and unpack what I did or did not remember.

Keeping her mind active is important - I started doing SUDOKU regularly to help my concentration and keep my mind active. I would read short stories and my wife would ask me to tell her about the story.

I am sure that she has Fatigue, this also makes the mind less active - so do things with her - what are some of the interests she has - have a look to see how these can be introduced in a simple way and getting out in some fresh air can help a lot.

Chemo plays with the chemical balance in the whole body so its not surprising you are seeing the challenges...... and she is an amazing 88 and going through some strong treatment.

You should keep notes and look for patterns and do go talk with her GP if you think things are not improving once her treatment stops...... but do allow a good few months for the effects of the treatment to leave her body xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your advice Mike, it really helps to talk to someone who has been through it and come out the other side Blush.

over the last couple of days, she’s started to read magazines again and, for the first time in years, has started to do some knitting. I like your idea of a journal though, she can always go back to that to remind herself of things. At the moment, she uses a wheelchair to get about but I’m trying to encourage her to walk short distances by holding onto the chair. She has a walker but refuses point blank to use it! 

The doctor has said not to try to walk too much, just a few steps at a time, until after chemo has finished. 

Thanks again Blush

I’m trying to be positive!
  • She is doing great and folks in that generation do have ‘their own minds’

I don’t know where you live but do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these are great places to get and talk with other who are going through the same journey both you and your mum....... our local Maggie’s run very helpful exercise groups that can overcome muscle wastage due to inactivity - we have one man in our group who is in a wheelchair but the trained cancer fitness  instructor sets simple exercises that he can do sitting down.

I was in a wheelchair after my second Stem Cell Transplant and I was fortunate to have youth to help me overcome this and get back on my feet but it did take months ((hugs)) to you both.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge