Sore mouth - any advice please?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 13 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi all

My dad has had his first dose of docetoxal  last week but he started with a sore mouth a couple of days ago.  Presumably this is part of the chemo side effects.  Has anyone else suffered with this please and is there anything we can buy to treat it or anything from gp please?  

Thanks

• Sore mouth is common. I was given chlorhexedine (cordosyl) mouthwash as part of my take home meds.  It’s important not to get mouth ulcers which can become infected.  Helped a lot.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Andy_C

Thanks Andy

Dad was given Difflam but it's making it more sore.  May give doc a call tomorrow.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Robbo68, just get him to brush his teeth daily, gently, and use a mouthwash,  one without alcohol though.  How is he doing??? I remember you from the other night, I bet your looking after him well.  Get him to talk about how he feels.  Keep his brain active, so you can tell if things change.  Ok.

Malcolm.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Malcolm

Thank you for the advice - I am indeed doing as much as I can both for his physical and mental health!

We called the clinic for advice and they told him to go back to gp.  He did today but his mouth is slightly better.  Not sure if it's the Nystan he's taking or the fact that he's getting further past his treatment start and gearing up for the, next.  Only time will tell i suppose!

Thanks for checking up on him :-)! 

Jackie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Robbo,

Dentist recommended Corsodyl. You can also try Biotene moisturising mouthwash in between. Tastes nice and makes mouth moist.

Babs

• FormerMember

Hi Babs

Thank you.  We bought some corsodyl last week so see how we go.  GP has also given him some false saliva drops/spray but he doesn't seem keen to use it!!!  see how he goes and we'll have a look at some of the mouth wash you recommend.

Thanks again

• FormerMember

Hi Robbo,

If he prefers sweets there's some called Salivix he could try.  They're like jellies.

Babs 

• FormerMember

Ooooh thank you will have a look for some!  Maybe better for when out and about!

Jackie

• FormerMember

Ooooh thank you will have a look for some!  Maybe better for when out and about!

Jackie

• Hi, all

Quite late to respond but hadn't seen this before.

Finished 6 chemos a month ago.

Managed to keep sores at bay throughout (well, I did get a few but they healed pretty quickly and never stopped me eating) by brushing my teeth carefully with soft toothbrush after every meal and then rinsing it with seasalt water (I pour boiling water on seasalt water in a mug, then let it cool down and leave it by the toothbrush in the bathroom until finished).

In fact, seasalt water on cotton pads helped with little skin sores and infections as well and (sorry if this is TMI) sore bottom after constipation caused by the chemo... Everything healed beautifully. So to speak.

Good luck all,

clg03

CLG03...