Immunity during chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi all

Dad just had first dose of chemo for advanced prostate cancer.  I've read that your immuninty can be low during certain times but no body at the hospital mentioned it.  Are there days where he should avoid large crowds and even going out :-(?  Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Robbo68,  Chemo therapy, does lower your immune system, it varies with  each of us,.  It makes you more susceptible to viruses and health bugs. I am on my 9 th chemo therapy next.  Just watch him, for high temperatures. The hospital should have given you a thermometer, did they,? He might lose his appetite, you need to keep him hydrated, check the side effects of any medication given to him, and watch for them, communicate with him, get him to tell you how he feels, make a note of his answers, then check again a little later. The hospital should have also given you an Emergency Number, just for safety put it in your phone, they must have given you some form of literature about what to look for, SEPSIS, is the thing to watch out for, not many get it, but have a look on the net about. Don't panic Mr MAINWARING!!!. But a little knowledge can help you administer to him. If you don't have a thermometer,they are cheap enough to get from BOOTS, I spent 20 quid on a battery power blood pressure, oxygen intake, and temperature. You just put it on the tip of his finger and switch it on 2 minutes later, it gives you your BP, OXYGEN intake and temperature. Easy to monitor him if he is feeling rough. Communication with him will tell you if he is hiself, you'll notice any changes. Read up on here about it aswell, but please remember, others on here, are not Doctors or Nurses, .  The only Health Care Professionals are listed on here. I have babbled to long already, but this will get you started, they are a good bunch on here, but take everything they say , with a pinch of salt, wink, wink.

I hope he recovers soon, it stays in your body for anything up to 4 or 5 days for some people, remember it effects different people different ways, Good luck Mate.

M

• Hi . It is true that chemo affects the immune system and makes people more prone to picking up infections, and if they do, it is harder to get rid of. Up to 48 hours after treatment is meant to be the high risk time. There are precautions you can take such as regular use of antiseptic handwash  and encourage any visitors to use it. Make sure food is really well cooked, especially things like egg and rice. Regular use of a good quality mouth wash. This also helps prevent mouth ulcers. Obviously avoid anyone with coughs or colds. Children are known to bring lots of germs home from school, so be wary if any children have the sniffles. It is generally advised not to mix in large crowds. Saying all that, there needs to be a certain amount of common sense used. You cannot lock yourself away, so awareness is the key. I was extra cautious when I first started chemo, but then started to relax a bit and still went for a couple of pints. Hopefully others will be along with some tips. I hope all goes well for your dad. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi 

There is an extensive section about Chemotherapy you can check out infection risk using the link.

If you know the names of the drugs being used you can use the A-Z to look up individual or chemo combinations.

Hope this is of some help, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi again, Robbo68.  The Hospital where, you dad, had his treatment.  Don't mention it on here.  But they should have given you some instructions, on what to do in an Emergency.  They must have, please check, with all this going on, things can get forgotten about.  It's easy, there is so much to take in , in so little time,  The time flies by.  If they havent, you could always phone 101 and ask for guidance their, they are very helpful, I am trying not to overload you, you have enough going on, but, if you get a chance, do a little research on contacts/numbers to call to get guidance.  

Take care bud, I know you'll do a great job.

M.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Robbo68, just one more little thing to remind you about, SUPPORT.  Not just for your Dad, but for you too. You need some support aswell, otherwise, you might start to feel trapped, alone, fearful.  Believe me Robbo, your not alone in here, all Threads users , that's the nams, of us mere mortals on here. Are thinking, and trying to give you help and support, it's not an easy thing to take on ok, so if you help, ask, ask, ask.

M.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi all

Thank you for your responses.  Yes we have the emergency number and we have've ayou thermometer.   We've been given all the info and advised about infection and what to look for but they never mentioned any particular time scales on which days were likely to be worse.  He finished first treatment exactly 4 days ago and upto now ok and he's been going about every day life but others have had problems on day 5, 8 and 9 that i've read on the forums so was just checking if there were time frames.

Thank you

J

• FormerMember

Hi Robbo68,   well done mate, the thing to remember is, everyone is different, there is no set time scale, you have to monitor him.  Are you staying with him, or are you going home, and is it far, is the anyone else family wise that can check up on him, if he is alone.  Sorry for the qguestions, but I can't try to help, unless I know your situation ok Robbo, just if you want to, no pressure mate.  I think you handling it great,.

M.

• FormerMember

Thanks M

I live 10 doors away from him so we're all constantly in and out of their house lol!  I'll be keeping my eye on him.   

Thanks again

Jackie

• FormerMember

Good you are on the ball pal, one thing, make sure he has a drink, water or fruit juice beside his bed, then it be wakes up and is thirsty, he doesnt, have to wander around looking for an drink, that's when he could fall.  So by giving him this, you take away the risk of injury, is he close enough to the toilets aswhell, does he has walking sticks, if so leave them beside the bed as well.  

You have thought of everything, well done.

M.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yes, any chemo will lower the white blood cell count which can cause neutropenia. When they do blood tests they check for this. It usually Happens at it lowest day 5-15 after chemo. Basically just stay clear of crowds, sick people and germy kids! 

I have developed neutropenia from chemo and every cycle I have injections to help force my body to produce bone marrow for immunity. I still stay away from people for that week, just to be safe. It’s put me in hospital a few times but it’s easy to treat.