This heatwave - has had a positive effect on me.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday's warm weather has had a positive effect on me.  I managed in my wheelchair to get around to the back garden.  I haven't been able to do that before, I love my garden and both my good lady and I were avid gardeners.  The heat has made my body feel more energetic so much so that, my bones have stopped aching and I could smell the event of the flowers again, silly little things that I have really missed.  Sitting under the Apple trees listening to the birds singing their little hearts out.  Better than any medicine. I was dressed in casual clothes, with my Austrailian Video hat on to keep the Sun's rays off me, in the shade it was very comforting and pleasant.  I did not realise how much I had missed this simple pleasure.  I would recommend it to anyone, just a small touch of mother nature, has made me feel renewed and revitalised.  I suppose the rain will be back shortly, back to normal.    Just my view over this long weekend.  Did anyone else partake in the summery conditions?.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

So glad that you managed to get out and enjoy your garden and that the weather has helped your aches and pains for a bit. It muse be frustrating not to be able to do the thing you enjoyed most. My Mum was an avid gardener before her stroke 2 years ago and I know she hated the fact that she can't get out there and do things - she can't even look at most of it as it is quite big and not suitable for wheelchairs... Frowning2

I love the coast and the sea - that's my nature fix when I can get it. Unfortunately, we love about as far from the sea as you can, and there is no way that I'm going to sit in a car in this weather to get there! I also do REALLY badly in this heat - it increases my breathlessness as there is no 'air' when it's still, and I overheat really quickly! So, I've spent the weekend sitting ion my nice cool lounge in front of a fan! Quite looking forward to the cooler weather so I can get out and about more comfortably again. 

Hope you'll be able to get out again today whilst it's warm! Have a good day!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Cathy, thank you for your kind words.  May I suggest something, to help with the temperature inside, hang a wet tea towel over something, just in front of the fan, it will cool the air faster, get a bowl to let it drip into. Keep it wet and it will really cool the air down faster.   Or use a bowl of ice, in front of the fan it will do the same thing.

Best regards

• FormerMember

I have tried that in the past, but will certainly have another go today once I've done all my chores and had my eyes tested!!! It will be an afternoon nanny napping on the settee!!! 

• FormerMember

Hi Cathy and Malcolm

Without a doubt this bank holiday weather was exceptional. I don't have a particularly big garden, however it faces south and is a bit of a suntrap. So much so that in the early afternoon it can actually become so warm that we retire indoors where its cooler. I started a period of sick leave in April, and sorted out my garden for the summer. The weather in April and May, whilst I was undergoing radiotherapy was excellent, and I enjoyed sitting out in my garden, reading, listening to the wind in the trees, and the birds singing. My sick leave was unexpectedly extended as I'm now undergoing chemo, so any chance I have of sitting out in my garden I grab with both hands.

It's good to know that there are others who enjoy the simple pleasure of a garden.

Chris

• FormerMember

You are very welcome Chris,  people don't understand the power of healing, something simple like being able to go in your own back garden and just listen and watch mother nature at work, no fancy gimmicks, no trickery, just nature at it's best.  Thank you again, for your response.