Chemo and how to look after my scalp

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

Hi.  I had my first session of chemo 2 weeks ago and had quite a strong reaction to it.  I ended up in hospital for 3 nights before being discharged.  They have now given me an extra week to recover before my next session, and thsnkfully I feel much better now.  On Wed this week my hair fell out in handfulls, so I had it all shaved off.  My query now is - how do I look after my scalp?  Am I supposed to wash it each day?  Use cream or oil on it - seems to be conflicting reports out there.  I'm happy wearing scarves, and know about proctecting it against the sun.  I don't think I'll get a wig.  I just want some advice on the best way to keep my scalp in good condition.   Any advice gratefully received

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I haven't had chemo so can't give you any advice on how to keep your scalp in good condition I'm afraid. However, I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies. 

I think it would be a good idea to also post this question in a cancer specific group as the members there should be able to tell you what they did. If you follow this link you can then look through the various groups to find which one is relevant to you and then join and post in it.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"