FEC-T CHEMOTHERAPY

• 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi I was wondering how everyone is getting on with FEC-T,I was diagnosed with breast Cancer end of Feb and had Left sided mastectomy early March then a further Op as microscopic cancer cells in one gland.

Then my worst nightmare came true and was told I should have Chemo,I was not happy as I just wanted to go back to work.Started my first course of Chemo on 22nd this month and it hasn't been gr8 felt like givin up allready.Also have the worry of money as not sure I will manage to go back to work while on the chemo,I work for the NHS  as HCA  but recently found out I wouldnt get 6months full sick pay as not had contract long enough just makes me want to stop the chemo and go back to work,trying to face claiming benefits while going through this is a very stressful thought.

Sorry to sound so Negative,

any advice or comments would be appreciated.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello First can i welcome you to the community none of us want to be a member of but under the circumstances the best community.

I noticed you had no replies to your post, so thought i'd give you a tour around. I had FEC-T chemotherapy for my breast cancer last year and i can remember very much like you crying after the first one thinking i couldn't do it, but i did and i now have the all clear. 

I haven't worked since my diagnosis, and as i live alone worried too but i have had help from local charities and also Macmillan were also kind enough to give me help towards travel costs to and from hospital. Ring Macmillan they will help you with all your finances and give excellent advice on what benefits you can claim and will support you throughout the process of claiming. You can speak to a member of the team  7 days a week 8am - 8pm the number is 0808 808 00 00

I would also recommend you go look over in the Breast cancer group there are lots of people in there who are going through or have been through the same as you so can off lots of support and advice. There is also monthly post in there for people having chemotherapy May 2019 Breast Cancer Chemotherapy Chat sometimes it helps to talk to people who are at the same stage of treatment as you.

Don't ever be sorry, how can you not feel negative when you have had such a shock but hopefully talking to some of us in here you will feel a bit more positive about it all. 

You want to know anything just ask because no question is a silly one.

Take Care xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

n Hi SU47,

I too had FEC-T Chemo, and understand how you are feeling right now. The first time anybody has chemo is frightening! I can remember it like yesterday, I was just sat waiting for the side effects to start. I personally found the FEC part worse for me, nausua, upset stomach, headaches, just generally felt unwell. I had high temperatures every cycle, but they have medication for everything to help you. I was also given injections that I gave myself for 7 days after each cycle, i think I started them on the 4th day after treatment, these are to boost your Immune system, they can cause bone pain which again they have medication for. I'd say the 1st week of treatment I was ill, 2nd week I felt slightly better and by the 3rd week back to normal. Just to mention my hair started falling out in clumps just before the second cycle, it felt like I had put it in a tight ponytail, that sort of tight feeling, quite sore really, I got my husband to shave it off...that was a bad day. I would say for me personally that the side effects didn't get worse with each cycle, I just had the same each time, the fatigue did however increase.

When I had the Taxotere part I found this much easier to deal with, I felt achey, tingling in hands and feet, plus they were slightly swollen, mouth was worse, the main side effect was fatigue, I was very tired and breathless towards the end. Again the 1st week was the worse by the 3rd week I had recovered but was still very tired. I completed all 6 cycles. It is not easy, but wasn't as bad as I had feared and you too will do it!

I was off work in total for 9 months but was luckily paid in full for the first 6 months then half pay, I too work for the NHS and I must say they have been marvelous with me. Hopefully you will be able to get help with your finances.

If I can be of help at all regarding your treatment just let me know.

Best wishes Cherry blossom

• Hello and thank you for your welcome,it's amazing reading peoples journeys with Cancer and people reaching out to one another im sure will help me too.

I miss working with my team on trauma orthopedics ward the routine of work plays a big part of my life so tis very hard for me not going to work.I am going to ask about there policies of sick pay and see if they would reconsider because of the Cancer if not I will have to get some help from Macmillan.

I'm not looking forward to the next round of Chemo not sure if I will get through the whole journey its very tough and you guys are all so brave getting through the whole thing.

Once again Thank you for you reply.xxx