Positivity during chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 11 subscribers

hi,

how have people stayed positive during chemo? Any tips?

thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi @laila066 Wave tone2

I hope you’re keeping as well as you can! 

I am a huge believer in positivity and positive thinking!! It can be difficult at times, and that’s ok. It’s important to remember to let yourself feel low of you are feeling low. 

However, trying to keep positive is something I truely believe has helped me deal with this whole cancer thing so here’s my tips: 

*always find an excuse to get out of bed - don’t stay in bed all day feeling sorry for yourself, even if it’s just to go sit in the garden, don’t lounge in bed all day

* tell your friends and family when your chemo is, ask that they look out for you. If they’re anything like mine you’ll have little messages or requests to pop and see you. Always be happy to say no, but knowing people are there helps 

* get outside - vitamin D will boost your mood 

* write things down, literally everything. It gets it out your head and frees up space 

* try and find 3 positives every day, no matter how small, even if it is something like managing to load the dishwasher! 

* buy in sweets - yes!! When my taste went all I wanted was sweets, so I always had some on Joy

* read a book, do a puzzle or some colouring, find something to focus on

* on your good days, enjoy them! I found in my cycles I had 10 days where I felt like me, so I carried on as normal being me and doing what I would do if I didn’t have cancer 

Obvs I don’t know your treatment plan and how intense your chemo is, but I hope this helps a little bit. It’s all about finding things that make you happy :) 

best of luck xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I was only diagnosed on 9th April with Small cell and had my 2nd chemo last week.

I'm quite a positive person anyway cos I can't see the point in worrying about things you can't change. 

However, 2 weeks ago I started to lose my hair and had a major wobble but with the help and support from friends and people on here it only lasted 2 days.

I'm now hairless and I've bought loads of different colours and styles of hats. I've also bought cheap wigs and an expensive one. Different lengths, colours and styles. 

Hope this helps and I'm here if you want a chat anytime. Normally I'm up at 5am.

Dawn

• Hi Dawn,

Well done for your positive attitude with the hair loss this is one thing that I dread with chemo,I started my first chemo on 22nd of this month.I used the polar cap and still got my hair at the moment but under no delusion that it will prob fall out in the end.The other thing I hate is not being able to work,I am a hca working in the hospital environment and was hoping I mite get back in some way but after my first chemo not sure I will be able to do it even with a change of job role,so its looking like I will have to claim benefits i'm soooo gutted. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to SU47

I work I n the prison environment and have you thought about that for employment.

They have HCA working there and you could always do part time.

Also I was dreading my hair lose but after a week of it being all over the house and everyone you go and visit friends you leave a bit of yourself. I decided to shave it all off yesterday and I'm do glad i did. Feel better since it all went.

I didn't stay loasing my hair until the week before my 2nd chemo. It does depend on which chemo you are having. 

• Bless ya,

Yeah I would shave mine off if I start loosing it,I have got beanie caps ready if required.

I know that my Manager would do everything they could to help my job role but im just not sure if I would manage it with the way the chemo makes you feel,I am going to see her tmoz for a chat will let ya know.

Do you still work?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Dawn,

Many thanks for your message. This is a great support. I’ve just had my third cycle yesterday so officially at the halfway mark! I just hope the remaining cycles go smoothly.

thanks

• FormerMember

Hi,

thanks for the message, some great ideas that I will try. I do struggle to get out of the house though, but trying to keep occupied but can’t sustain any focus. I’ve had my third cycle so at the half way point so counting down now!

• FormerMember

Ah halfway is great!! The end is in sight! 

It is hard getting out and about and I know ky focus is always a bit hit and miss, it’s just taking each day as it comes. Like I said some days are great and others not so, it’s learning to ride the waves :) 

i hope the rest of your treatment goes well x

• FormerMember

I agree, you make every day count and take the rough with the smooth. However, I am 54yrs old and it must be really hard being 30 with young children. 

My children are grown up and I look to my grandchildren. 

Hope your treatment goes well and you get through this to make more memories with your children. 

If you every need some one to talk to I'm always here. 

• FormerMember

Hi 

Good idea with the range of hats and wigs. Its an opportunity to do some of the length and style changes that take so long when you have your own hair . I'm going for at least a short and a shoulder length, and a nice turban or two. I am currently modelling a very short pixie cut I'd never have had the nerve to try before, ( in preparation for losing my hair soon), everyone likes it. My usual is shoulder length. I am sticking with grey with the wigs tho. I only recently stopped dyeing mine, and grey is still a novelty , plus it's fashionable these days. Mind you, blond could work too .....