What was your chemo experience like?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi,

my mums is due her third cycle of EC chemo next week and would like to know how other people’s experiences are? She found the first cycle a nightmare but the second with a dose reduction has been a bit better but has struggled with having to use GCSF injections. Generally she has been feeling shit and emotional. How has everyone coped with this?

thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello  

I had FEC-T chemo started last July. (Its the same as EC but i had an extra drug which is what the F stands for) 

I found the first cycle a bit difficult but i think this was because i didn't really know to take the anti sickness medication even if i didn't feel sick, i didn't know what to expect and i thought i would feel nauseous for the whole 18 weeks of treatment.

I describe my chemo as week 1 really poopy, week 2 a little better and week 3 nearly back to normal ready for the next round. As for the injections i did them myself an hour before bed. I was told by my chemo nurse to take them out of the fridge half an hour before they were due, as when given straight from the fridge they sting. I was also told to do them as close to bedtime as i could so if my bones ached i would be asleep.

The emotions have a mind of their own, i tried to concentrate on one treatment at a time, and on the days i felt ok i would go out, even if it was just a drive round the block to get me out of the house. I also reminded myself that even though i felt poopy it was because the chemo was getting rid of the cancer. 

All you can do is be there for your mum, believe me it helps more than you probably know. My kids have been by my side every step of the way, they've had the shouting, the crying and the days i have felt like giving up but they got me through. 

She's lucky to have you looking out for her, hope the rest of her treatments are kind, she will do it just some days she might need some cheering on xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi scriptfan,

I just read your message to my mum who is undergoing EC chemo and she was really touched by the positivity of your message and sends her thanks. She also describes going through the same cycle of feeling poopy in the first week, and slowly getting better and is doing the same process with the injections. She’s glad to hear she’s not alone.

thanks

• FormerMember

Awwwww!!! Bless that’s made me cry Cry 

anyone mention emotions???? 

• FormerMember

Awwwww

Lol, she said her emotions are all over the place. It’s like Niagara Falls whenever she goes to the hospital for appointments and scans!