Rosco trial

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi I have Grade 3 breast cancer and I start Chemo next week, I am having 4 rounds of Chemo and then the op, is it likely that I will loose my hair within the 4 rounds, I have lovely long hair and considering chopping it short to prepare myself.

• Hi - I am on ECX chemotherapy n lost my hair in the second cycle both times - I had chemotherapy pre surgery n am now having chemotherapy post surgery .

I cut it short then shaved it off as it looked better then wispy hair 

Nita

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there, it will depend on which chemotherapy drug you are on as part of the trial. I lost my hair from taking doxorubicin for blood cancer, and when it started falling out I shaved it off, its grown back now but is wavy rather than straight as before. I didn't wear a wig but many ladies chose to do so and find it helps them. I would check with your doctor the specific drug you are going to be taking before having your hair cut as not all chemotherapy causes hair loss. How are you coping with your diagnosis? 

Best wishes

johnty, female

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

HI Johnty, thank you for your response that makes up my mind as I was thinking am I jumping ahead of myself and will I regret chopping off my hair if I don't loose it, I find out on Wednesday which drug I will be using so I need to hold fire really.

In terms of how am I coping, surprisingly I have coped well in fact to the point that I am worried that why am I not breaking down or emotional, maybe I am in denial everybody around me is treating me like I am made of glass but I have been a strong independent person most of my adult life had lots of challenges and always battled through them and held my own.  Deep down I am worried that I will crumble at some point as I am just going with the flow with the mentality that it is a process and I need to get through it and all will be well, so really my answer to your question is my head is mixed up and I am getting through each day.  I can not understand that I am sick as I feel the same today physically as I did before the diagnosis. I think talking to others on here will help me understand and prepare.

• FormerMember

Hi sat, everything you have said in your post about your frame of mind more or less mirrors my own experience. I am stoic by nature and hardly ever became emotional at the beginning. As time went on I would have what I call my wobbles, usually set off by some trivial incident, it's just unspent emotion pouring out, so don't worry you are not crying a lot it will come out when it's good and ready ! I can also relate to your ill but don't feel ill comment, when I have my good days I have to remind my self I have cancer. I have recently finished 6 months of chemotherapy and am off treatment and am recovering slowly, and enjoying life. Any questions about coping with treatment in general I am happy to help, I have leukemia but we are all in the same boat from a psychological point of view.

best wishes 

johnty, female

• FormerMember

Thank you Johnty that has reassured me.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Merge

Hi Nita , how are you getting on with your chemo, I see that you have been through a lot recently.

best wishes 

johnty

• Hi Johnny,

It's been a long hard 3 weeks - this last cycle I haven't had my energy back at all - haven't been able to go for short walks like I usually do - not been out of the houseHouse

Its my last day of taking the tablets today so hopefully things will improve after today - think it's going to be a long recovery period.

Best wishes to you too - hope things go well for you .

Nita 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Merge

Hi Nita, I remember the day I put my pill tray away in the kitchen cupboard, it took me about 2 months before my body started to return to normal but the fatigue has lingered on a bit longer. Set short term goals to start off with and don't beat yourself up if it is slower than you would like it to be. Remember you have experienced a emotional earthquake and the aftershocks continue on for a while after treatment stops. Be kind to yourself and don't feel bad about putting yourself first until you have recovered.

best wishes

johnty

• Hi Johnty,

Thank you so much for this - I was feeling down as the fatigue doesn't seem to have lessened at all - but then it's only been a few days ! I also don't feel like eating which isn't helping - hoping my taste buds come back soon then I can eat better and get some energy. I'll try to be patient and take it a day at a time -2 months is a long time .

Thanks again 

Nita

• Nita

I think you’ve done amazingly well to complete the post surgery chemo!  Only 60% of people manage it! I honestly don’t know how you have done it! But you have!

It will take time for your body to recover from all that you have been through! But you will get there! You’re through the worst!

Thinking of you and hope you feel better soon!

x

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!