Chemo Dillemma. Take it or leave it.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hello all

I had surgery at the begining of the year to remove a 6cm tumour in my colon. The lower anterior resection went very well and my recovery has been text book. My follow up results couldnt have been better, no evasive cancer to lymph nodes and so catagorized as Stage 2A. During a follow up meeting with the Oncologist i was given the option of Chemo  on a take it or leave it basis, which would be in tablet form over a period of 4 to 5 months. Now, whilst i may flatter myself about how fit i am, i am pushing 60 and dont know if i could handle it. 

From the literature that ive read the benefits of chemo shrinking any cancers in stage 3 and 4  are there in numerous testimonials, however, those in Stage 2 are conspicuous by their absence. I know its a case of pros and cons but its a decision playing heavy on my mind. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

It's great that everything's gone according to plan so far and I can understand your dilemma as to whether to have chemotherapy or not. 

Could I suggest that you also post this question in the bowel cancer group, which I see you're a member of, to get the experiences of people who have had the same cancer as you and to share their experiences with chemotherapy. If you're not sure how to get back to that group just click on the link I've created.

Wishing you all the best with whichever you decide

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks Latchbrooke for getting back to me. Ive now done as you suggested.