Chemotherapy

A support group for everything about chemotherapy, being treated and side effects. Tell others about your experiences and get answers to your questions.

First chemo oxaliplatin pain

Phebee
Posted by

I had my first iv chemo on Monday, but only managed half the oxaliplatin due to the horrendous pain in my arm. It was stopped after an hr. I was expecting the pins and needles but not the pain. My arm is slowly recovering but still incredibly sensitive to touch. I'm now booked for a picc line before the next treatment and currently working my way through numerous Capecitabine tablets.

Any one found oxaliplatin easier to take through a picc? 

bellabongo
Posted by

Hi there

Ouch, sorry to hear about that pain. I think you would have a better chance of a reply if you posted on the bowel cancer group because they will be likely to have had that particular chemo. And it's probably a busier group. I'll see if I can post a link

Alison xxx 

Phebee
Posted by

Thanks Alison, I'm a member of that group, just thought this group would have some advice to offer. 

X

bellabongo
Posted by
bellabongo
Posted by

Ah, yes, best to post on both groups. Hopefully one or both will come up with an answer. I was in getting chemo on Wednesday there and the lady beside me had a PIC line in. The chemo doesn't touch the vein, just the tube, then goes in to the bloodstream near the heart (you'll already know this) so avoids the vein trouble. After that, it would just be an allergic reaction to the chemo, which is why they infuse steroids and anti-nauseas beforehand, to prevent that. They had to double my steroids due to that, and it was OK after that. I get Doxorubicin and Cisplatin.

Hope you get on alright!

Love

Alison xxx 

Phebee
Posted by

Thanks Alison, 

Hope the rest of your chemo goes well xxx