Chemotherapy

A support group for everything about chemotherapy, being treated and side effects. Tell others about your experiences and get answers to your questions.

Blood test - delayed chemo. Should I be worried?

ask123
Posted by

Hi, I have had x3 fec, every 3 weeks.  And have had Paclitaxel 2 weeks ago, I just had my blood test today.  I received a message on my voicemail saying that the blood test results were not good, and that they were going to call my oncologist to check.  Not to come in the morning and to call at 9am.  I was wondering if this is normal?  Should I be worried?  I am feeling absolutely fine, even better than usual.  I just didn't expect it, I guess just like cancer. 

Dreamthief
Posted by

Evening  

The two main things they look for with pre chemo bloods are the LFT (liver function test) two Liver Enzymes can be raised which indicates your liver may need an extra week to recover and ditto if you still have a low white cell count (neutrophils)

Click this link to read more about Blood Tests.

This can cause a weeks delay or even a fortnight but is very common to have this occur at some stage during your sessions :(

If in doubt or you need further assurance do ring your breast care nurse .

Take care, G n' J

ask123
Posted by

What a pain...if blood cells are low and if kidney is not functioning as it should, do they prescribe anything to speed up recovery?  Thanks so much for the advice, I guess if they were worried, they would have asked me to come into hospital. 

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Desr Ask,

As Deeamtguef has said, it is very common. If your neutrophils prove to be a problem on FEC, they might suggest you have injectiions of filgrastim to boost the neutrophil count. You can do these yourself and it’s easy.

Best of luck

Pepys xx

ask123
Posted by

Thank you all, luckily chemo went ahead, I need to have a blood test next week to check all is ok.  Fingers crossed, only two more rounds to go.

AntD78
Posted by

Hi,

My bloods returned a low count after my first session of FLOT and the second session was put back a week, it was nothing to worry about.  If I’d have gone ahead I would have been very prone to illness so it was in best interests to put it off a week. I had to inject myself for 5 days after each chemo 8n order to keep the white cells high. 

Hope all goes well in future. 

AnneSM
Posted by

Hi,

Just a thought regarding low neutrophils. 

I had this a few cycles ago and a nurse friend suggested hot baths as it worked for her! I tried it and a daily half hr hot soak doubled my count in 4 days so I got my chemo. 

Ax

Anne

Jerry1
Posted by

Hi

I had delays due to white blood cell count being low. had to inject myself for a week to get them back up again. Delays are quite common so no need to worry. I've known people who have not completed full course of chemo due to side effects including myself and that was over 2 years ago.

Jerry