Long Term Stress

• 1 reply
  • 46 subscribers
  1. My wife has been fighting cancer for 10 years, breast cancer, secondary breast cancer and brain metasis, a TIA, she is amazing ,  she picks herself up everytime. I cant say the same for myself, I thought I was doing quite well but recently realised I was bottling everything up and culminated in a collapse at work. The doctor diagnosed severe stress and anxiety, but its not as easy as pulling yourself together. I dont have any really close friends I can confide in, work are not very sympathetic, just adding to the stress. I dont want to burden my wife or kids with my troubles, life can look really bleak at times. I want to spend as much time with my wife as possible but financial pressures, keeping a roof over our head,  stops any chance of doing that and I lie awake at night worrying about the future
  • Hi Watchman welcome to the forum and I am so sorry to hear about all that has happened for you and how you are feeling  about all this.  Like many of us who cares for others we often don't always look after ourselves and somewhere along the line things creep up on us and affect us both physically and mentally and you are not alone in that one.

It sounds like there are lots of things that you might benefit from having a chat about with the very skilled and caring staff at the Macmillan Line.  They have people you can talk with and also people who can help with any grants or funds that you may be eligible to claim which may make the financial side of things a little easier. Has the Doctor given you any medication or offered some counselling for you to help with the stress and anxiety if not it may be worth asking them to do this for you as that may help as well.   The Macmillan Line are contactable from 8am-8pm on 08088080000. 

I hope that you get some support for you and take whatever is offered for you and look after you and remember that you are as important in this as anyone so cut yourself some slack and dont be too demanding of what you can or cant do instead try to be realistic and be mindful of the fact that you are only human.  Sending very best wishes your way for now. x

gail

Community Champion Badge