Caring after getting the news my mum is terminal

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 44 subscribers

I feel this may turn into a rant/bit of an outpouring. As a bit background, my dad passed away after a two year battle with Acute Myloid leukaemia in 2015 when I was 20. Just two years later, we got the heartbreaking news that my mum had Acute Myloid Leukaemia as well, and it was more aggressive than we had experienced with you dads illness.

Now three years later, and several rounds of intense chemotherapy as an inpatient and trying an outpatient version with injections, each time securing remission for a period of about 4-5 months, we’ve received the news that she’s relapsed once again and that we are out of treatment options. My mum is now terminal.

My mum has been solely reliant on me for the past three years to get to hospital appointment, do her shopping and be there to talk to and get things done around the house (including a lengthy battle with our local council after a burst water pipe in one of their properties took my mums kitchen out of action). I am now more afraid than ever that my being their to support her will be the reason she gets an infection that she can’t recover from - I social distance, wear a mask and gloves, but I can’t avoid human contact whilst getting her the things she needs to be happy and comfortable at home. 

Meanwhile, I drop her off for her appointments. I can’t be there with her when she speaks to doctors or nurses. Her consultant recently asked if she wanted to bother with her phone call appointments anymore given there’s ‘nothing she can help with’. 

In the initial week after the news, we heard from her GP (for e first time in three years), our local hospice and the district nurses. All were clear that Covid means that their limited in what they can do right now, and the district nurses in our area are so chronically understaffed that the lady that visited actually normally works in a different city but has volunteered to help out where we live. Since then, there’s been silence, we don’t know what to expect as she gets sicker. This is nothing like our experiences with my dad, who never made it into remission and passed away in hospital. It feels like we’re fumbling away in the dark trying to figure out what will happen, when it might happen and what we need to do when it does happen. 

I never though that at 25 I would be facing a situation where I’d lost both parents and I feel woefully unprepared to support my mum through this process and find a way through.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello, We were the same My partner never got a call from her GP even after she had started her Management plan. I had to call the GP on my partners behalf and explain everything. We now have all the support we need for my Partner and myself as the carer. Give your mum's GP a call and your own GP.  and call the Macmillan support number. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you Pabbs - I’m very lucky to have a very supportive GP and we’ve finally managed to make contact with my mums. Unfortunately, we’ve never met her as she’s new to the surgery so we’re having to bring her up to speed on my mums background and treatment over the last three years. 

After the comment from my mums hospital consultant about whether she should bother having phone calls appointments with my mum anymore since she can’t treat her, we’ve been in touch with her Antony Nolan nurse and our local hospice again to try and get someone to help her make a plan. She’s very nervous and scared right now, and uncomfortable leaving her children to handle everything should she become sicker so I'm hoping plan will help her relax more so we can make the most of the time we have left together..

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bea94 I’m so sorry to see what you are going through. 

I can begin to understand how you are feeling. My mum has acute myeloid leukaemia too and at 77 years old was given her terminal diagnosis in sept 2019. She is having palliative chemo and like you I am responsible for getting what she needs, housework, taking her to appointments. I am also a midwife and wracked with the guilt that I could infect her with Covid. My mental health has suffered so much. 

I am so frightened about what is to come. Yesterday we agreed to a dnr and it’s hit home the reality of her situation. 

I hope you have manage to navigate the system a little more and found some support. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Apologies for never coming back to you! 

Unfortunately, palliative chemo wasn’t an option for my mum as it was expected she wouldn’t have much time at all. 

We sadly lost my mum on 3 October but I cannot fault the care of her GP and the district nurses in her final weeks of life and particularly the final few days. They were always on the end of the phone. The night sitters were a lifesaver and made sure we were able to get some sleep with the peace of mind that someone was there to provide her comfort and support if she woke up.

The local palliative care near us is St Luke’s who were wonderful and willing to answer questions whenever and about anything. It does take some time to get everything into place, and often the support doesn’t come until you really need it but once I’d reached out and explained my worries they were brilliant at telling us what would happen, when was best to introduce different types of support and who to contact to get it in place. I really so recommend reaching out to you’re local team (be it Macmillan or St Luke’s or someone else) as they really are fantastic and it’s reassuring to know your supported and not alone!