Stage 4 colon cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all , my dad has stage 4 colon cancer with secondary liver , he was diagnosed  in may this year , he is at home ,we care for him as a family ,i have 3 sisters and a brother and we share the care, but we also look after mum ,who had a stroke 2years ago , we have been caring for  her since  the stroke  each taking it in turns one day a week ,dad had been her main carer up until he was diagnosed,now we take care of both of them, mum thankfully  is recovering well, but still needs some care as she is scarred by the stroke ,it was a shock when we found out about dad and scary , not knowing what to expect ,we have tried to make dads life easier and as comfortable as possible, but he has gone down hill fast , we now stay over so there is always someone on hand ,hes got all his faculties and very stubborn but its all he has control over ,his body is giving up and this morning he woke me to say he'd  had an accident, didn't quite make the commode, and there was blood ,so cleaned him up and he asked if he was bleeding and i just nodded i couldnt speak ,breaks my heart because he knows whats happening to him and he's researched it all so can't  camouflage  anything, dr coming out to see him today so will have a word with her ,things are only going to get worse, distric nurse comes once a week ,lovely but what can they do run off their feet , we have a palitive nurse but not often  maybe once a week , really feeling helpless feel like i should be doing more but what , affecting us all mentaly and physicaly, keep hoping that he'll get better but it never going to happen is it , its been 2hrs now ,hes fast asleep , now my turn ,thanks for the vent x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi. I feel your concern. My mom has stage 4 rectal cancer. she was however lucky enough to be given chemo but we’ve come to the end of that road as she’s deteriorating fast. I’m so pleased you have joined together as a family to support your parents and that will help you all to recharge and you all appreciate what you are going through. Could you investigate if there is a local hospice that your dad could attend for day care?  My mom goes once a week - it’s a lifeline both emotionally and medically. We don’t have palliative care at home tho. I’m trying to investigate holistic therapists to come  to her home as she gets much relief from these at hospice - reiki and reflexology. When my Dad was terminally ill I arranged for our local priest to come to see him privately. My Dad could talk about his fears and take comfort. He came every week without fail and in the final weeks, every day. Perhaps this is something else that may help. Also look up Red Cross who do home visits. I know none of these are medical but it will give you a break and allow your dad or mom to speak about whatever is on their mind - some people don’t want to worry their family with fears whilst others wouldn’t dream of talking to a stranger. My thoughts are with you x