What next?

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi  everyone, my husband is now on no treatment at all as his Incologist says he needs a break from Chemotherapy. Last folfuri +cetuximab was a month ago. We are not due to see the consultant until mid January but in the meantime, lots of constipation and /or lower back pain,  sleepless nights. Our GP surgery is good, they have now recommended  a plant based diet and prescribed codeine for the pain and movicol to counteract the resulting constipation. I feel as though we ate in limbo. If we ask advice of the oncology team they just say go to A &E or see your GP. I feel we have been abandoned . He has has very little sleep for thr past week and can rarely get comfortable. Any advice on pain relief versus constipation would be much aporeciated

• Have you tried a tens machine ? Boots sell them and it's quite effective . We find a combination of prune juice strong coffee usually relieves the constipation .Also if he isn't sleeping we got the g.p to prescribe sleeping pills .At least when they are asleep they aren't in pain. Good luck and take care xx

Granny Sue

• ,We do have a tens machine buried somewhere from when l had lower back problems so will give it a try and the Prune Juice. The codeine plus paracetamol does give a few hours relief but he stopped taking the Codeine because the bloating and constipation was so bad. He is asleep now as l persuaded him to take the painkillers and a movicol together. I will ask GP about sleeping pills. Thankyou,