Husband has 6 to 8 weeks left

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I am caring for my husband of 34 years he had his kidney removed in July but now the cancer has spread to his liver colon bowell and stomach they said there no treatment they can give and we waiting on McMillan nurses 

we are trying to manage this as a family and I am trying not too get him to  be not too distressed at facing death. We support and talk a lot dealing with some sad issues and cry together. At the moment we are fed up with every time a community nurse comes to see him he ends up back in hospital. Given he has weeks to live shouldn’t we been keeping him at home

i am confuseD at All the services saying they will support him at home but none having turned up. i am trying to take one day a time but it’s just too hard   I don’t think I am strong enough to support him to the end. The thought it terrifies me and him. Why has our life been taken away from us like this and we are so helpless 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm so sorry to read this, but we have been in a similar situation.  My husband, with terminal cancer, was discharged from hospital after being admitted as an emergency 2 weeks ago after urosepsis. When he got home I asked the GP to visit and also asked if she could chase the palliative care team, who we had been referred to, but who had not contacted us, I also asked the community nurses to chase them.  (I took the delay as a sign that they are really busy and there are a lot of people in our position sadly) Anyway following that they did contact us and following their visit last Friday we now have the support that was promised.  From Monday we have had hospice at home nurses visiting 3 times a day, District Nurses visit 3 times a week, but have upped it over the past couple of days.  I have a telephone number I can contact at any time of the day or night and if needed the nurses will come out - no matter what time it is. It took a while to get here, but now we have the support I feel so much stronger.  My advice is shout from the roof tops - it's sad to say but those that shout loudest get heard.  The support is out there and you need it now, but you might have to fight for it.  Badger your GP, chase up any services you have had contact with and update them.  You don't have to do this alone.

And I so wholeheartly agree about our life being taken away - we had such plans and this wasn't one of them. 

Take care and I really hope you get the support you so badly need.

XXX

• Thank you so much for your response. Hopefully he is coming home tomorrow and I have been promised support but I will take your advice and make sure it happens. I wish you both comfort and peace of mind during your difficult time. I know the peaceful times for my husband and I when we are alone together help us cope with the day to day emotions of everyone else. Once thank you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Owl58

That's good news. I'm sure he'll be happier at home, I know we are, and my husband has expressed a wish not to go back into hospital and to be treated at home no matter what and that has been written into his plan. 

He spends most of the time asleep now, he's not really eating anything at all now - but still managing to drink a little. 

Our youngest grandson visits with our daughter and he really bucks up, it's lovely to see, and at two & half he's not fazed by Pop being in bed, he just takes it in his stride bless him. 

Next April we will have been married for 45 years, we met when I was 17. 

I really hope you can make the most of the time you have together. 

Take care of yourself too. XX