Medication

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hubby has had a radical prostatectomy ( and after that only given 3 years to live but that was 5 years ago!), much other treatment , now waiting on results from a 'nuclear' scan ( what is this? sounds horrific) and he is afraid cancer has spread to his brain - he is 71 and has a huge array of medication including Bicalutamide which gives him symptoms of the menopause, antidepressants, sleeping tablets, and more - result he is tired and angry all the time.  He already had to have a double mastectomy as the meds made him grow breasts   Now he is expecting some kind of treatment if he has a brain tumour and I dread chemo or radiotherapy.  

I fear the medical profession are so keen on prolonging life they destroy quality of life and it means we can't make the most of our time together = we only met just before he had his cancer diagnosis.   

Anyone have the same experience?  

• Hi , sorry to hear about your husband and sorry too that I cannot directly relate to your husbands experience.

My wife experience with cancer is quite different and she has never had radiotherapy; the first round of chemo though had some unfortunate side effects but fingers crossed that has been fixed and now her cancer is stable.

It is well worth talking through your concerns with the oncology team; one of the "issues" of course as a carer is the final decision over treatment lies with our partner. Sometimes it can be very hard to support a decision that perhaps would not be the one we would make.

If you want a bit more direct support from the medics here you could post in Ask a Nurse who might be able to offer some more professional support.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to src60

Thanks especially for the hugs!  It is so hard to watch my hubby - he has had cancer three times - once as a young man, once in his forties ( long before we met) and now in his sixties/seventies - of course they saved his life on all three occasions but it is the most vicious kind of treatment and all new to me.   He is happy to take all the meds he is given whereas I would be more wary - but then my health has never been compromised like this.

Best to you and you wife and hugs back - we all need to support each other.