Terminal Illness

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 45 subscribers

All, my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 oesophageal cancer with spread to the tummy.  We were told it wasn’t curable and after 6 chemo sessions the latest scan showed the tumor to be growing and spreading.  That was 2 months ago and since then I can see a slow decline in him.  He has spent the day in bed, had food on a tray, which is so not him. He is weak and breathless doing the most simple of things.  I am so worried.  My doctor has signed me off from work so that I can be there with him.  There is an added stressor of a close couple of ours - the wife has been through what I am going through and has dropped me.  No support for me.  Just my husband.  I don’t think it’s because she is re-living bad memories as she married the funeral director who did her husband’s funeral just a matter of a few months later.  This situation has hurt me, but my priority is with my husband.  We don’t know how long he has.  We’ve been together 3 years, married for 7 months.  I am heartbroken and grieve every day for the time I know is coming.

• Hi , sorry to hear about what you and your husband are going through.

Can relate to your story about the friend, when my wife was diagnosed my sister-in-law found it quite hard to process after her own cancer treatment, it is tricky to take it in.

Has your husband had a needs assessment from your local authority, you too could get a carers assessment and hopefully you will get some support through that. Good to hear your doctor has signed you off as at least that is one less worry.

If ever you need to talk to someone the helpline here 0808 808 0000 is open 7 days a week 8am to 8pm.

<<hugs>>

Steve 

Community Champion Badge