Partner diagnosed with breast cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My partner has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer Grade 1. She is undergoing a lumpectomy on 16th. She has had lymphnodes scanned which appear OK but I am terrified that when they biopsy them they might not be OK and that it will be somewhere else. I know this is pessimistic but I can't stop fretting.

• Morning 

Sorry to see you joining us here and reading about your partners BC Disappointed

A SLNB (sentinel lymph node biopsy) is standard with any breast surgery to check the nearest 2 or 3 nodes to the tumour area - these are found using a tracer dye.  The lymph nodes job is to trap any cancer cells that may have come away and trigger your cells to attack them, so if any are found they have done their job stopping them travelling elsewhere.

In a lot cases these sentinel nodes are clear or only contain a few random cells, not clusters or tumours these cells could be dealt with by radiotherapy to this area. If there is any concern she will be called back to have more nodes in the chain removed but with grade 1 which means this has been found early the chances of this happening is minimal.

Have you any other info regarding the hormone ER/PR or HER2 status (positive or negative) as this will dictate any follow on treatment(s)

Hope this is of some help at a worrying time, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dreamthief

Hiya

Thanks for your reply she knows that it is er positive but no other results as yet. As it gets closer to the day of surgery unfortunately my anxiety Rises and I feel I've little support to her which is really frustrating quite frankly I feel ill with worry I know that thinking too far ahead is not a good thing but I can't help it.

H