Meal ideas

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

has anyone got any tips for things to eat and drink ? My mum has small cell lung cancer and has lost a stone and a half in weight in just over 3 weeks. She can’t taste anything and is struggling to eat much at all. She has 2-3 ensure milkshakes per day but I’m struggling to get further nutrients in her. She can manage porridge sometimes but that’s becoming a bit boring! 

Any suggestions???

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lindsay 

Welcome to the Carers only forum group I'm so glad pleased that you found your way over to us and I hope that you will get a lot of information from the members in addition to their help and support.

Further to my previous response in the other group I am now pleased to tell you about the

Macmillans - Recipes for people affected by cancer

From scrumptious soups to mouth-watering mains and delicious desserts, our brilliantly redesigned booklet Recipes for people affected by cancer is packed full of meal ideas that are suitable for people living with cancer can be found in this free books.

If you click on the green text this will take you to a new page where you can order your personal copy to be sent to you

When you try to order you will asked to log in it is the same login details as you use for the community and when you get into the order page at foot you will see at the foot add to cart and then follow the instructions and in a few days your recipe book will delivered to you.

I'm still looking at other recipes for people who have a metallic taste in their mouths due to the effects of chemo.

Does your mum like smoothies which can be home made and be full of goodness.

Any problems, anytime please let me know.

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you. I have ordered the recipe book.

Ive just made a load of smoothies for her and am going to try blending some meals tomorrow!

thanks for your help.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi, so glad you've ordered the recipe book, hope it helps, I thought I'd give you some more food for thought

Tips to boost energy and protein in everyday foods

There are various ways of adding calories and protein to your meals and snacks. Remember to choose full fat and high-calorie options whenever you can.

Foods that contain protein are:

• red meat like pork, lamb and beef
    • white meat like turkey and chicken
    • meat alternatives like tofu, quorn and soya
    • fish and shell fish
    • eggs
    • beans, lentils, chickpeas and other pulses or legumes
    • milk, yogurt and cheese

Below are some ways you can boost your diet.

Use full fat and fortified milk and butter

• Use full cream milk instead of semi-skimmed.
    • Put 2 to 4 tablespoons of milk powder into a pint of full cream milk to make fortified milk. Use it instead of regular milk.
    • Always use plenty of butter or margarine where you can.

Drinks

• Make milky coffee (or use fortified milk).
    • Add fortified milk to tea and coffee, or bedtime drinks such as Horlicks, Ovaltine or drinking chocolate.
    • Try buttermilk as a drink.

Breakfast

• Soak porridge oats with added sugar overnight in full cream milk. This softens them and makes them easier to eat.
    • Add dried fruit or seeds to boost nutrients and calories in your cereal. About 75g (or 3oz) of oats treated this way will give you about 500 calories.
    • Add toppings like cheddar or full fat cream cheese and baked beans, kippers or scrambled eggs with extra butter on toast.

Snacks

• Keep snacks like nuts, pasteurised cheese, fresh and dried fruit, biscuits, crackers, yoghurts or fromage frais handy to nibble at.
    • Make sure you buy full fat fromage frais and yoghurt.
    • Spread fillings thickly in sandwiches.
    • Add a dessertspoon of mayonnaise to sandwich fillings such as hard boiled egg or tuna.
    • Snack on quiche, hard boiled eggs or chicken pieces dipped into mayonnaise.

Sauces and soups

• Make up packet sauces or soups with milk (or fortified milk) instead of water.
    • Make sauces with milk instead of water, or fortified milk instead of standard milk.
    • Stir a tablespoon of cream or full fat yogurt into canned soups.
    • Add plenty of pulses or meat to stews and casseroles.

Vegetables

• Mix grated cheese or cream with mashed potato.
    • Melt butter on top of hot vegetables or garnish with grated cheese or chopped hard-boiled egg.
    • Serve vegetables with a sauce made with fortified milk.

Desserts

• Add ice cream, cream or evaporated milk to cold puddings.
    • Add custard made with fortified milk to hot puddings.
    • Add sugar, glucose powder, honey or syrup to desserts.
    • Try lassi made with fortified milk.

Drinking nourishing fluids

Have nourishing drinks such as milky drinks and smoothies. Drinking only water, squash or tea can fill you up without giving you many calories or any protein. Any milk-based drink gives you calories and protein.

Ian