Time Time Time

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Two and a half years ago the crash happened and my wife Diane was given the news she had stage 4 lung cancer attacking both lungs.

Once the dust had settled as much as it can with news like that we took stock. 18 months they gave us. We thought apart from the cough and damage left behind from the pneumonia (a partiality collapsed left lung) she felt pretty good. We planned to do all the things we had been dreaming about, holidays trips ect...... Then came chemo. Ok so wait until after the first line chemo is done then...... Then comes maintenance chemo..... OK we thought. So two years later it was time to stop chemo as she couldn't take any more. Ok we thought that should give us a bit of time not being dragged down by chemo and its side effects.... .. Then came the plural effusions ...... Totally naff left lung ..... Cancer now on the move again and too weak for any more treatment. Wind onto now and my honey is in a Hospice. It was just to much for both of us coping at home. We have done none of what we planned. Those two and a half years gave gone. That initial diagnosis seems like it was only esterday.

Guess I'm saying Do it whatever it is whilst you still can. 

Probably seems obvious to most. 

Moan over I've got another say at the wisdom Hospice in Kent to look forwards to. Lovely place, lovely people

X

• Hi  

Thank you for sharing. You're so right, 'Do whatever it is whilst you still can'. We are two years on from my husband's two diagnoses; oesophageal and prostate cancer. I am so glad that we had a lovely holiday before it all started and am looking forward to the end of radiotherapy sessions so we can think about a short break somewhere. I think, after what you have written, I'll book it now. It will be lovely to have some time together, even a long weekend, without having to drive to the hospital every day.

Hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• Grammy, our journey began over 2 years ago now and my husbands initial diagnosis like your wife's seems like yesterday even though so much has happened in that 2 years. We are at the stage now where we are doing what we can together while we can ( treatment ended due to side effects) we have just enjoyed a lovely weekend away ( children free) as we will never get to do that when we are older and the children have all left home. We are taking the children away next week along with some extended family and have booked to go away again in a few months for another family holiday. You have prompted me to try and fit in more and truly make the most of this time while we have it. It is so hard as you get caught up in the everyday things, thank you Grampy. Best wishes to you and your wife. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sunflowers15

Make the most of every day. Make as many good memory's as you can. Please don't waste time on the mundane as that will still be there tomorrow. Sadly we didn't get to fit in a big family holiday so that's one of the things I will do when I feel up to it. It's early days for me I still catch myself thinking it's a bad dream and I'll wake up to her beside me, in fact the last three years seem like a bad dream.

You still have time. Time to make those memory's. Good luck to the both of you and the kids xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LoobyLou49

Hospitals.. .. Urgh..... 

I hope I never have to set foot in one for a very long time. Do it now whatever it is, just do it. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. 

Just make sure to make enough happy memory's to see you through the not so good times xx

Good luck and big hugs to you too x

• Grampy66, thank you again for your gentle reminder to make the most of the time we have. You are right the mundane stuff will still be there tomorrow, I still find myself getting caught up in it so your gentle reminder has put things back into perspective just when I was starting to get caught up in the everyday things again which really aren't that important.

I sincerely wish all you have been through these last three years was a bad dream. Your message when you informed the community of your wife's passing was one I will never forget. Take care Grampy x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sunflowers15

You are so sweet for saying that. Thank you...... m ore tears x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Grampy66,

Thank you for writing that. I can only imagine what you're going through since you lost Diane, but I thought it might help you to know that your words helped reinforce what my wife and I have decided to do.

We've recently finished treatment for grade 3 stage 3 breast cancer which turned our lives upside down. It also changed our outlook and overall life perspective.

We're not entirely sure how we're going to achieve it, but because there's a relatively high probability of the cancer returning, we've decided to live the hell out of life while we can. We're going to buy a motor caravan and go on a series of travel adventures in europe.

It's scary what we're doing, but you have helped put things in perspective and cement our plans. It's the right thing to do.

I cherish the time we have together and it wasn't until the diagnosis that I realised how much I/we took our lives for granted.

I'm truly sorry for your loss...but...thank you for sharing your experience. It helped us and I imagine it will help others too.

If we could hug you, we would.

Sincerely.

Dom (and Jen).

• Wishing you many happy adventures, may all your dreams come true xx

Love is eternal