Carers only

Looking after a loved one with cancer? This is a safe and supportive place to share your worries and emotions. Please remember when posting that this group is for Carers only.

Welcome to New Members

LoobyLou49
Posted by

A very warm welcome to all those who have joined us in the last month. Below are a few links that might be helpful.

Looking after someone with cancer is a useful booklet which can be downloaded or ordered via post (free of charge).

Link to searching for local cancer support groups.

The finance page has links for information about benefits, housing costs and other money worries that often come with serious illness

A carer's rights at work can help with information when taking time out of work is essential.

Emotions . It's helpful to know that we all need help on the journey that is cancer.

Whether your loved one is just diagnosed or further on, there is plenty of support from all the lovely members in the group.

Love and hugs,

LoobyLou   Linda

If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish.    What is a Community Champion?

LoobyLou49
Posted by

Bump

LoobyLou   Linda

If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish.    What is a Community Champion?

Birdfeeder
Posted by

Hi LoobyLou49

These are great links for people to dip into, whether at the beginning or the end of their journeys here, or like me losing my hubby recently but still have a dear mum to care for. Their needs and journeys so different.

My Mum has had splenic lymphoma with villous lymphocytes for over 20 years, and is only now entering end stage. She is 85!

I thought it was a timely reminder that cancer journeys all have their own time lines.

Some people starting in the forum can be truly depressed by the site if they happen on a period of colliding sadness. BUT I have had some fun too. 

FUN ??  Yes, we all find our way through. Learn to share here the little things that make you happy, smile, laugh! Our lives are sometimes a slog and tears but we are human and need a release.

So what makes me laugh. Recently, next doors sheep deciding she should come in and check out my house. Made my dad laugh too. Happiness!

Turning on loud music and dancing like there is no tomorrow. Even in the hospice one night, a nurse took me by the hand and lead me outside and waltzed me around the car park. I laughed and cried, it works. 

Pets, our own or videos of others "Simon's Cat" etc.

Coping is a mix of distraction, treats, tackling practical stuff head on, picking up phones and asking for help before you need it. Yes, before! Sign yourself up for counselling, go find nearest Maggies or Macmillan group, find out what they are like, then don't go again until you feel the need.

You cannot prepare for everything, cancer can send you swerve balls. So when it does, just think ah yes, here we go, how do we deal with this??

Come on here and share, we are in it together. No worry is too silly, it's often the small stuff that floors us, so type away. Don't compare yourself to others and feel insignificant - this site is here because you are all important.

Hugs to all Birdfeeder  x

I will walk miles now for cancer charities, so others can walk beside their loved ones for as long as possible. 

LoobyLou49
Posted by

Thank you ,

It's always good to remember to laugh. Love the sheep story. I also like your idea of checking out a Maggie's Centre (or other cancer support centre) and keeping it in mind until it's needed; that's a very useful tip.

Love and hugs,

LoobyLou   Linda