Tired. Just so tired.

• 14 replies
  • 49 subscribers

I’m a husband of 37 years to Helen, who has been under treatment since Sept 2021. Stage 3 TNBC. Chemo, surgery, radiotherapy and due to residuals now back on oral chemo. She’s exhausted, platelets down and now diagnosed with depression and anxiety which she has counselling once a week for.

Two weeks ago the treatment was paused due to Helen being ‘battered’. Over a phone call the oncologist explained the following. If the cancer ‘comes back’ it will almost definitely be in the vital organs, brain etc and terminal. This current round of oral chemo reduces the chances of its return by 20 percent. 

I have never burdened her with my fears as it would be unfair. Our grown up children are both sensitive types and are already struggling with the most basic and selective information we’ve given them.

But my stomach churns, with dread, day and night and my focus on even the smallest tasks have become increasingly blurred. I’m playing my role as carer, father and ‘the strong one’ with aplomb.

But the truth is I’m tired. Just so fucking tired. 

• Today I don't feel well myself stomach pains all night feeling tired poor simon looking after me feel soo bad he's the one with cancer

• I completely understand. My mum's having treatment at the moment, and as her main carer, I'm starting to hit that brick wall where the roller-coaster of the last few months since her diagnosis is catching me up. I'm so exhausted at the moment. 

• Hi vk have you a macmillan support worker I have a volunteer who rings me once a week where I can cry or moan really helps. It is exhausting but I find I have to keep my armour on because if I don't who will care for them and sort out the paper work we can do this xx

• Hi

Thank you for your reply. I'm sure someone made initial contact but haven't heard back since. I'll get my mum to find the paperwork. That's a really good idea thank you