Please share your tips for Looking After Yourself

Hi Everyone,

What do you do to get a breathing space when you're a carer? Some find it impossible to get even the shortest break, so how to stay sane and cope?

15 second 'meditation' is recommended for impossible times. Breathe in deeply and out slowly, and enjoy the moment. A life saver in the mad rush of it all.

A warm bath with nice smellies, candles if possible and make it your time only.

Lucky ones with a bit more time, get a massage in your local beauty shop or from a friend.

Please Reply to this message with your tips so we can build up a resource for those who need it.

• Self care is vital but awfully hard to achieve.  My husband was only diagnosed last year but I also have two children with autism - both high functioning- so in effect I’ve been a carer for them since they were small.

What works for me is taking the dogs out, plugging my iPhone into my ears and listening to my playlists.  And singing! 

It gets me out, I get some exercise and I don’t have anyone following me and talking at me.  

• , HI, you certainly have a plateful, thank you for your tips. 

Hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• Hi All, Huge wishes for a good day for everyone,

Among other tips we have had are;  cuddling animals, hugging the sofa and getting outside and to take a few deep breaths of fresh air. Keep those tips coming everyone.

Hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• Hi all,

I have found the Headspace app a really useful mindfulness tool to help with my relaxation as it focuses on your breathing and gives you other techniques to deal with the stresses and the strains of being a carer.

Hope that helps in some small way.

Ali 

• I do some gardening, have a lovely bath, treat myself to a magazine, watch Real Housewives (sorry!) or enjoy a good glass of wine. Mindfulness takes some getting used to but it’s a great skill to master. 

Much love xx

• Thank you , thank you for sharing, this is all going to be so useful. 

Hugs,

LoobyLou

• Thanks , Great to get your tips. Now I have to watch Real Housewives just to see!

Hugs,

LoobyLou

• Thank you for this tip, sounds like a really good idea. 

Themissus.

Stronger than yesterday.

• Winnie I’ve literally just joined headspace app n it’s very good (I’m on day 3).

For me when my husb was at his illest I used to get frustrated at folk saying “take time to look after yourself” i was like “how??? When??? “

There is not enough hours to look after him how on earth can i care for me??!”.  

People were well meaning but sometimes there literally is no time to care for ourselves  

Also for me there was a lot of guilt - like “how can I dare to care for me / relax / enjoy myself when my husb was literally fighting for his life. “

Caring is a weird place to be ....

Thankfully he is so much better now but those dark days are not so long ago. 

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*

• Tho now I’ve had my moan ... what I SHOULDVE done is only given tips on what works... that’s what this post is about after all.  Sorry.

So when TIME IS PUSHED. 

breathing... breath in thru nose, out thru mouth.  Count to ten breaths.  

n try concentrate on unclenching muscles.   

Always have a snack handy in your handbag - nuts worked for me.  when we care we forget to eat.  And drink .... water.  

All silly obvious things but as husb was so very ill I genuinely forgot to eat/drink myself. 

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*