Cancer treatments

Share experiences and get support about any types of cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, biological or hormonal therapies, transplants, and clinical trials.

Letrozole side effects

JDBUNNY
Posted by

I have leiomyosarcoma, initially in the womb, unfortunately a tumour reoccurred in my pelvis the site of the previous hysterectomy.

Initially as the tumour started to shrink following radiotherapy an operation was considered. My last scan however , showed a further tumour had now developed in the peritoneum inoperable so was told I am now terminal. My oncologist says perhaps have 6 month to a year, all depends on the behaviour of the tumour. As I have expressed willing to try anything, she has put me on Letrozole to see if it has any effect. I have been on it now for 2 weeks and am experiencing debilitating side effects. I have increased hot flushes, night seats so bad cannot sleep, I ache so bad that moving around is painful, have headaches and get dizzy spells. Is this something I have to suffer initially and will get better perhaps after 4 weeks, or is this a permanent issue. Normally I am an active cup half full person, love travelling, meeting people and interested in all that goes on in the world. At present this drug is robbing me of who I am and I have started asking myself is it worth it? 

Johnty
Posted by

Hi, I am sorry to hear you are suffering side effects from this drug, I have never taken it myself but I read some forum messages from other patients that seem to mirror your experiences, have you spoken to your oncologist about these symptoms ? I have a incurable blood cancer and I understand the balancing act between quality of life and life extending treatments. Have you had any contact with palliative care services yet ? If you type letrozole in the search box in the top right corner of the page it wil show you posts with a reference to that drug.

best wishes

Johnty

Female
55 years old