Cancer treatments

Share experiences and get support about any types of cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, biological or hormonal therapies, transplants, and clinical trials.

Saying no post breast treatment drugs

Sally37
Posted by

In the past twelve months, after diagnosis of triple +ve Stage 1-II-B, grade 3 breast  cancer, I have had chemotherapy, surgery (lumpectomy), radiation and adjuvant therapy via a daily aromatase inhibitor pill. I am not appreciating the side effects, namely and most importantly impacts to my brain function (there are plenty of others but that is the important one)  - intermittent memory loss, and I have found some scientific articles that can attribute brain function to these hormone drugs.

Last week I had a brain scan last week that confirmed nothing suspicious going on in the head with my hippo-campus so therefore in my mind it is all the drugs.  I have been a science experiment for 12 months and now want to say that's enough as the benefits Disease Free Survival are not enough. Only a 5% difference I think. 

Am I reasonable to give up the drugs?  I think the body needs to get back to a drug free baseline and maybe I would start again...

toxophilite
Posted by

Hey

There's so many tough choices to make in this journey. You've done all the hard stuff - well done getting through it all.

Not unreasonable at all to want off the drugs. But perhaps post this in the Breast group, where there are a lot of others asking the same questions. They are a great group over there, and will answer what they can. And probably play devil's advocate for you too!!

I had the main lump TN and lymph node ER neg and HER2+. Took some arguing with GP, but went back on HRT as menopause was just as bad the second time around. So I do sympathise, and agree that the mental function impact is pretty hard to deal with.

Hugs xx

Karen