Cancer treatments

Share experiences and get support about any types of cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, biological or hormonal therapies, transplants, and clinical trials.

chemo in america

Jemx2
Posted by
Can anyone shed any light on an American version of Chemotherapy. My wife has is going through Chemo for breast cancer and I happened on an article by Thomas Lodi M.D. explaining that and I quote ' when oncologists are surveyed anonymousley, 70%-80% admit they would not do the treatments they prescribe on themselves or their families '
The article appeared in the Spring publication 2009 of ' Get Fresh ' and, if I am reading it right, it tells that the combined use of insulin and chemo helps to avoid destorying the immune system at the time of chemo and radiotherapy.
Please tell me if I have this wrong. however if this is right then why is not practised in the U.K.

I am just concerned that my wife feels so ill after the chemo and has had to fight two different infections at once in hospital because her immune system was so down.

Gary38
Posted by
Hi Jem,

My mum had breast cancer over 20 years ago. Thankfully she pulled through, but I remember the feeling of despair, and wanting to find out what could be done to help her. My heart goes out to you.

At the time I remember reading so many articles with anecdotal quotes that sounded great but had no substance. I'm worried that the above might fall into that category. And I'd hate for you or anyone else to be misled.

So, can readers of this thread help us out please? Please can you point us to any objective, statistically sound, double-blind, and peer-reviewed trials that support or refute the above claims?

I don't want to hear anecdotes or testimonials, I don't want opinions, hunches, or feelings (however well intentioned) - I want facts! What real evidence is there that "the combined use of insulin and chemo helps to avoid destroying the immune system at the time of chemo and radiotherapy?"

Please let Jem and me know.

Thanks

Gary

-----------------------------
"One step at a time"
carolb-1
Posted by
this would be a good one for Seanty - if of course he were still allowed on this site. I don't know the answer Gary, have never heard of this treatment. If it was a good, viable or scientificaly proven treatment surely more oncologists would be prescribing it.

Carol
Gary38
Posted by
I've spent some time looking, but can't find anything to support this claim.

But let's give it some time. I don't want to dismiss this out of hand, nor "clutch at straws" and hope it's true.

If we don't get any facts in a week or so, then I guess we'll have to put it in the "unproven" box and ignore it until we see some real evidence.

Thanks
Gary

-----------------------------
"One step at a time"

Gary38
Posted by

I'm just off to the office and am in a rush, but I'll look into these claims about insulin's effect on chemo. As a diabetic taking insulin on a daily basis I'm very sceptical about your claim.

So, I'll ask again.

1) How are you "living proof"? For example, how do you know that you wouldn't had got better anyway? It might have been a coincidence. Your claim is an anecdote, not evidence.

2) "The answer to your question is quite long and I cannot do it justice with this email". But then you ask people to email you! [and you ask them to do it via link, not the site's PM facility - strange?] Please use this thread to try and do it justice - thousands of people visit this site, let them all benefit from your experience, rather than inundating you with emails. Please, give us more details ON THIS THREAD.

3) As for the work of the people you mention - rather than us all looking into the work of these people (and so spending our money on their books, videos, etc), why don't you point us at the evidence (not anecdotes) that supports their work?

A cynic might think you are part of their marketing campaign.

A sceptic might believe you're someone lucky enough either to have been misdiagnosed originally, or believe they know why their cancer went into remission - but have no evidence to support that belief.

I, on the other hand, don't know. But I do know that if I felt that I'd found a cure for cancer then I'd tell the world - I wouldn't just drop hints and ask people to research it themselves. C'mon show us the evidence.

Wishing you well.

Gary

------------------------------
"One step at a time"

Gary38
Posted by

I've now spent (many) hours trawling the internet to find evidence (remember, not anecdotes or marketing) and have been unable to find ANY evidence to support the work of those mentioned in Christina's post.

Gary

------------------------------
"One step at a time"