Cancer treatments

Share experiences and get support about any types of cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, biological or hormonal therapies, transplants, and clinical trials.

BREAST PAIN WHILST RECEIVING CHEMO

JBert
Posted by

Hi folks

I am due to receive my 3rd FEC chemo on Wednesday of this week - fingers crossed.  Felt not so bad apart from the first week.  However, since starting the chemo I seem to have the breast pain that I went to the Doc's with in the first place when they told me I had cancer.   I had a masectomy on the 5th May but still getting breast pain.  Spoke to the Breast Care Nurse when I saw her last Monday and she says that the pain is normal and the chemo could be doing this.  I was just getting worried that something sinister was happening.  The 6 cycles of chemo and the 1 year of Herceptin which I will start after my chemo is "belts and braces" because of my age and they don't want the cancer coming back (I am 44 years of age)  Has anybody else experienced the pain.  I get it it my right breast too now (had a left masectomy).  My mind is going into overdrive and thinking the cancer has come back already..............  paranoid or what.  Anybody who has/is experienced would love to hear from you so I can get some peace of mind.

Many thanks

J Bert

tessa2
Posted by
I think it is probably quite normal and caused by effect of chemo on hormones and consequently breast tissue. I still get it a bit and I finished chemo in December but have had ultrasounds and mammograms since so know all is well. Surgeon says most peri-menopausal women get some breast pain as homones fight chemo etc. It's a bit like excessive pre-menstrual boobs. Tess x
wendy warner
Posted by

Hi, i had a same / smilar thing, i had also had breast pain before i found cancer, and i can olny describe as a drawing up pain, like a spot coming, i had in affected area as well, after surgery and when chemo started i was still getting it, i have been told its where the tissue in the breast is healing and normal, however i am still as vigilant. - good luck with your chemo

oneboobdeb
Posted by

hiya... im deb from wigan.  had my mysectomy on 28th may..... its nearly six weeks now and im still getting severe breast pain behind my scar....is that normal... and also loads of fluid there too.  im due to see the oncologist on 20th july when i find out what further treatment re chemo im having..  all very scarey for me and im dreading the chemo.  had 8 lymphs removed and cancer was in the first.  anyone else out there like me please get in touch and tell me if its normal to be still having the tightness and pain behind the wound?  thanksxxxxxx

Christine R
Posted by

Hi Deb, I wonder if your pain could be caused by the build up of fluid? Hasn't anyone mentioned draining the fluid? I know this is very common after surgery and have known many women who had to have it drained. Certainly worth asking about.

I had a lumpectomy 6 and a half years ago and the area around the site of surgery is still very tender and painful. I have been told by the docs that it is perfectly normal as they cut nerves as well as tissue.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Best wishes, Christine xx

ericalouise
Posted by

Hi

I am also 44 and love the fact I am classed as a young cancer patient !! lol. I have today been to see my oncologist to arrange my 1st chemo after my masectomy 2 weeks ago today. Apparently due to the fluid build up and due to having a full sweep of the lymph nodes due to secondary cancer being in 22 of them. I have been told that I may have discomfort in this area as I am also having Fec. I will start chemo 2 weeks today as have asked for another week of to let the fluid disperse a little more. Keep strong and I know you will do well. Take Care xxx

oneboobdeb
Posted by

hi christine.  thanks for taking the time out to reply to me... i really appreciate it.... anyways since i last posted on here - i went to have my new boob fitted today and the breast care nurse was mortified at my swelling and whisked me down to the surgeon who quickly drained it all off - one litre of fluid in all - and by god have i got relief...lol....  didnt get my new boob after all until the swellin has settled a little bit...im going to call it Mollie from now on....deb xxx

Christine R
Posted by

Hi Deb, so glad you go that sorted out. What relief you must be feeling! Just remember if the fluid gathers again get on to them and get it drained. No point in suffering needlessly.

Best wishes, Christine xx

wendy warner
Posted by

Hey Deb, i didnt have a mastectomy, i had a lumpectomy, however i also had the same pain, same fluid and tightness, when i had physio she suggested i hold my arm up and rub it from wrist to shoulder to drain any fluid, i do find it helps, she also suggested to massage my scar and wound etc, another thing i have found as worked - but as i say i didnt have a mastectomy

Poppylove
Posted by

Hi is anyone currently having a painful lump ? I have had first fec chemo and lump now back to feeling how it did wen first wen to docs and after initial biopsies. I still like to take my bra off at night but am having to 'carry' my offending boob as hurts so much. I am thinking it's the battle it's on that'd making it sore ?

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi  

Can you let us help you out as you have replied to a 6 year old discussion and seem a little lost :)

Noticed you haven't as yet joined any groups, so we could make a start on that to help you get the most out of the site.

If you click this link it will take you to the Triple Negative Group, when the page opens click on the button 'Join This Group' you will then see a new option "Create a New Discussion" use this and copy in your above question about chemo and breast pain and post it to the group, you will soon get some replies from other triple negative ladies.

There is also a monthly 'Chemo Club' run in the main Breast Group which you should also join as most of the triple neg ladies are members of both groups.

As for your question are you having chemotherapy prior to surgery as this could be the chemo shrinking the tumour down (basically killing it)  Hope you aren't suffering with feeling too nauseous with your FEC ?

Hope this helps a bit for now :)

Take care, G n' J  (breast group May 2012)

Mazda
Posted by

Hi I had my first chemo session on Wednesday was fine Thursday and Friday started feeling rough Saturday today Wednesday feeling slightly better but have just started feeling sharp stabbing pains in my right breast where I had a lump removed last  May the would has taken 6 months to heal does any one know if this is a normal thing to be experiencing thanks Mazda

Maggielou
Posted by

I had a lumpectomy last Sept, as I had a grade 3 cancer, I’m am also having chemo, on my 3 session next week. I have managed pretty well with very few major side effects.

I have also noticed pain in my breasts, that has come on recently, I too got very paranoid and immediately thought had my cancer come back. I too was reassured it is not uncommon to have pain during chemo, by my cancer nurse. But I will still bring it up when I see the oncologist tomorrow. Watch this space. I keep getting told if in doubt, check it out 
Shirl3
Posted by

Hi Maggielou. 

When I was on chemotherapy I also got pain in my breasts sometimes it was really bad. Mentioned to my oncologist and was told it could be the drugs attacking the cancer. 

Hope you get things sorted soon. 

Shirl3.xx