Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Stage 2 breast cancer: aged 25

Amyx
Posted by

Hi everyone 

Earlier this month I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer at age 25. I have undergone surgery which entailed a lump ectomy and removal of some lymph nodes. I have yet to go for a meeting with my consultant next week for the result from that but he said I will have to do radiotherapy once healed but will know more next week when I see him 

Could anyone give me some advice and support as I’m feeling really lonely right now I don’t know what is going to happen to me in the future or how long I’m going to survive. I have a 8 year old son too who doesn’t know what’s going on and I don’t want to tell him 

has anyone else been through the same at my age? 

Xx

ellen63
Posted by

Hi Amyx

i don’t normally write on here but felt I needed to reassure you. I’ve had breast cancer twice aged 38 and 47 and my daughter was diagnosed February last year aged 26 when her little boy was 4 years old. It was devastating at such a young age to say the least. She underwent a mastectomy with implant. Had her eggs frozen, 6 rounds of chemotherapy and radiotherapy. She’s on exemestane, zoladex and have 2 monthly infusions. BUT, she is doing great. She got through it. She told me she knew she’d be ok and able to cope because I got through it.  Yes it was hard but you do what you have to do. Don’t be afraid to ask for as much help as you need. Surround yourself with positive people. Take it step by step with your son and ask for advice. Your nurse will be able to support you and give you a children’s book for guidance. Be honest in a positive way. It’s amazing how children are so resilient. 

There is so much going on, a lot to take in and you may not feel it now, but you WILL be ok. Sending hugs xx 

Ellen

ellen63
Posted by

I also wanted to add, thoughts that’s got us both through it. 

A year doing everything you need to do to get well is worth everything for the rest of your life. 

Xx

Ellen

Amyx
Posted by

Hi Ellen, 

Thank you for reassuring me with your kind words. 

What stage was your daughter when she was diagnosed if you don’t mind me asking? All they have told me is that I’m stage two, they have removed the lump and some of the nodes and said that I will need radiotherapy but will know if I need more treatment when I get my results from my operation. 

I have my operation on the 20th of May and still really sore from it. I have also got a holiday booked to Disney land Paris on the 1st July and I don’t know what to do with that, whether I will be alright to go or not. My son is really excited for this. 

Also, I had to go to the doctors 2 days ago for a removal of my contraceptive implant as my consultant stated that the hormones in the implant will be feeding the cancer. So I can’t get anything not apart from a copper coil which I don’t want as it would cause me heavy bleeding. 

Im so glad I’ve found this form as I’ve just been constantly googling stuff and making myself frightened. No one seems to want to talk to me about this, I don’t know if it’s because they will get emotional I don’t know. 

Thank you for replying xx 

I hope you and your daughter are ok! Xx 

Amy xx

Londonmumof2
Posted by

Hi Amy,

I didn't get on with various versions of the pill, so for many years used a diaphragm with spermicide successfully. I could get pregnant really easily, within a couple of months of trying, and never did when using it.

ellen63
Posted by

Hi Amy

My daughter was also stage 2 with 2/14 lymph nodes involved. So that’s why she had chemo. I might add though that they had told her even if her nodes weren’t involved they would have advised chemo because of her age. But I everyone is different. 

It looks like you are oestrogen positive if you had to have your implant removed. Same with my daughter, so she had treatment at Guys for egg harvesting which was very successful. There are a lot of treatments and options available if that’s the case. 

I think speak to your nurse about your holiday and get advice. I’m sure if you feel up to it you’d be able to go. Is another adult going with you that could help out? 

We are both doing great thank you. My daughter has been back working since February, after a year out. She’s a single parent but she’s coped amazingly, as you will too 

Ellen x

Ellen

Amyx
Posted by

Hi Ellen, 

My nurse rang me today, and has told me that I’m HER 2 positive which now I have to undergo more surgery, chemotherapy and Herceptin. 

Im so anxious and depressed now with this news. I literally don’t know where I stand now as I’ve been reading a lot and the nurse said only 20% of people come out positive to this, and then there’s 70% chance that people become resistant to the Herceptin then there is no other options. 

Kindest regards 

Amy

TheScriptFan
Posted by

Hiya so sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. 

Where have you been reading?? Lots of information online is out of date or incorrect. I read that the cancer i HAD was the hardest to get rid of, scared myself silly then got the all clear 2 weeks ago. 

Things didn't go as i was originally told, so just because your treatment plan has changed don't lose hope. 

Your son, have you tried telling him that mummy is poorly and having medicine to make her better. It's better than him hearing it from someone else, i'm not saying people will tell him on purpose but he could overhear a conversation or a school friend, who may say something to him. Talk to school, they will be able to offer support too. My hospital also has a book called "Mummy's lump" that you may be able to borrow to help explain to him.

Try not to take much notice of statistics that your nurse has told you, they have to tell you, but try to take each step as it comes, no point worrying about something you may not need to worry about. Why would you be one of the 70% rather than one of the 20% ?? 

My cancer was stage 3 triple negative also in my lymph nodes, yep i'm older than you, i'm 48 but its all gone now. Remember the doctors and nurses taking care of you, it is their job to make you better, and sometimes that might mean changing your treatment plan, like mine was but you are their priority.

Keep talking to us and also if you think it might help try ringing Macmillan their phone lines are open 7 days a week, 8am - 8pm 0808 808 00 00 and its free.

Big Hugs for you xxx

It's gonna make us who we are, it's written in the scars  "The Script"

ellen63
Posted by

Hi Amy

You’re being overloaded with so much information right now and it’s hard not to let your mind run away with you. I’d suggest if you are going to read anything, only read from the Macmillan website and talk to your nurse. I was told the second time around that I had only a 4% chance of it returning. I was one of the 4% and I’m doing great 8 tears later!  Your team have a duty to tell you this information. BUT, the treatment does work, otherwise they wouldn’t offer it. 

As ive said before, they will offer you everything they can because if your age, so don’t panic over it. They are doing everything they can, please try and hold onto that. 

I hope you have a good support network Amy? If you’d like to chat to someone your own age, I’d be happy to ask my daughter if you need to chat. Talking to people your own age that have got through it might give you some comfort. 

Thinking of you 

Ellen

Mgducks
Posted by

Hi Amy,

I thought I would reply to you and I'm a little older at 38 and was diagnosed triple positive almost a month ago, that's positive for both hormones and Her2, I had a treatment plan of a mastectomy but then within 24hrs they had my her2 results and want me to have chemo combo with herceptin first. I read up on it as scared myself and have now banned myself for Google.

I'm due to meet with my oncologist for the first time tomorrow to discuss exactly what my treatment plan is. 

It is really scary but I'm only grade 2 and my nurse told me that herceptin is a game changer and there's fantastic results from it.

I'm looking at it as a spring clean of the whole body, an MOT and service at the same time which is gonna make sure you're in top condition and good as new as a whole.

I'm still very much at the start of my journey but now in the mind frame that I'm doing what the team feel is right for me and not over thinking or googling. We are gonna be great at the end of this as we aren't gonna let some crappy illness bring us down.

Stay positive, keep a diary and do what makes you happy

Hannah 

Rosieamber
Posted by

Hi I had my lumpectomy on the 31st of may just a couple lymph nodes taken iam having my dressing changed on Monday then just wait to see the surgon about what happened when I had my surgery the radiation to follow you have to take it one thing at a time so my surgery is done then move onto the next thing you will be ok stay strong .I no it's a big shock but stay talk8ng to people it will help take care xx

Mgducks
Posted by

Hi, thank you for reply, it's good to hear your journey, I've learnt quickly that every one is different but being able to read that no-one is alone on this scary ride is very reassuring, and the success stories are fantastic to read. 

Glad to hear you're recovering well from your surgery and fingers crossed that you are towards the end of your journey now, yours right talking certainly does make things easier.

I met my oncologist for the first time today, she explained about the new drugs herceptin and perjeta combo that I'm gonna have a long with a couple of chemo drugs, good results and best treatment for me before surgery. I wanna get going now.

Good luck for your next appointment, positive thinking and we will all get through this together x