Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Counting down the days

Woody47
Posted by

So today I had my pre-op assessment; swabs, blood tests and an ECG. Got my lovely bottle of Stellisept and some nose cream - oh the joy! 

Now feeling more paranoid about having seroma or lymphodemia. I've seen a few recent posts about seroma and it sounds really painful. From what I can tell the actual part of getting rid of the cancer is only half the battle. The real fight is dealing with everything else. This disease is so cruel. 

Any top tips for the weekend ladies?  My last 2 days of normality...for a while.

Sunnyone
Posted by

Morning! 

I found it helpful to put all the clothes which were front fastening/zipping or quite baggy into one pile for the first few days. Similarly not jeans which need force to pull up but things which are easy to put on. I also put things that need lifting where I wanted them  to be for a week. Personally I had no problem filling the kettle and that sort of thing because it was on one level, but couldnt move anything from low down to high. 

Other than that I did the garden and downloaded programmes on to my phone.

Easy to say dont worry about the seroma but Ive had a really pronounced one and it has been annoying but fine.

Oh the other thing, nice things to drink. I like flavoured tonicwater and decaf tea. Personally even a little bit of coffee or half a glass of wine bothered me for about 2 weeks after anaesthetic but I still wanted nice things to drink.

Counting my blessings.
Beachwalker19
Posted by

Try not to worry about Lymphoedema, it does settle if you get it and my Breast Care Nurse says it happens more after 2 separate operations it’s not as common after one.

I had my Mastectomy nearly 3 months ago and it’s like a distant memory now, it’s a hurdle, yes, however you are a step closer to where to need to be.

Definitely need tops that you can fasten up the front, I opted for a couple of hooded jackets and cardigans too.

Good Luck and wishing you well x x

Woody47
Posted by

Hi there 

That's great, thanks. Definitely add some flavoured tonic to my shopping list and I hadn't thought about decaf tea. 

As I'm going to struggle with a bobble, I've told my boys they're going to need to do my hair for me for a while, that'll be interesting.   I'm not sure when I'll be able to wash it or shower afterwards.

Luckily I'm left handed and I'm having a right mastectomy. I'm sure I'll get by.

Last day at work tomorrow. Definitely getting some more spring colour for the garden. Got to boost my view

TheScriptFan
Posted by

Hiya

I had a lumpectomy last week and i took some cartons of apple juice with me to hospital in my suitcase. I was so glad as they were a bit more tasty than water.

Can't really advise for a mastectomy but there was a lady in at the same time as me who had one and she looked amazing the day after when she came and thanked me for putting her mind at rest about chemotherapy. In fact she looked better than me and i'd only had a lumpectomy lol

Enjoy your last day at work.

If its hurting right now, it's gonna make us who we are, it's written in the scars   "The Script"

Sunnyone
Posted by

Oh yes hair. I got my hubbie to help me wash it on the 2nd day out. I knelt on the bathroom floor fully clothed and washed it leaning forward over the bath. We had a shower fitting but you could do it with a jug. I sat in a shallow bath and washed for the first week but did a dry run of getting in and out of the bath on my own first. 

You will be fine. My experience was one of amazement at how fast I could do quite a lot.

Xx

Counting my blessings.
Beachwalker19
Posted by

I did the shallow bath thing but found it difficult with 2 drains in (which were in a bag I was given) i was told I could shower after the 2nd week once my drains were out, infuriating they were in for 14 days but once they were out it was fine.

I found I could wash my hair myself with the shower head over the bath. I’m right handed,  had left side mastectomy but could move my arm ok after a couple of weeks.

Let us know how you get on x x