Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Lucky2112
Posted by

Hi all - totally rubbish for us all to be here but nice to have people to talk too  I have so much love & support around me but at times you can feel so lonely! I joined this site in December but this is my first post! I have been reading posts tho & have found it all so helpful!

I was diagnosed aged 36. Had a lumpectomy & lymph node operation on 2/1/18 - awaiting results which will hopefully be this Friday!

Has anyone experience a seroma I have one in my armpit & it’s just so painful- consultant said it should drain itself! By the evenings it just feels so big & painful. I struggle to do my post surgery exercise sleeping is a nightmare, pain in my arm & my breast feels really solid & tight!  Just wondered if anyone has any tips to help with the discomfort. 

Claire xxx 

Beachwalker19
Posted by

Hi

Sorry you have found yourself here but it’s always good to talk to someone in a similar situation if you feel like it.

I had a left side mastectomy and lymph node clearance in 2 separate ops in Oct and Nov, that caused Lymphoedema under my arm sounds very similar to what you describe, tight chest, heaviness, painful under the arm.  I had to have mine drained twice as it looked like half a golf ball. It did ease but I did have to try manual massage and it’s came back again just yesterday I’m wondering if it’s because I started chemo on Wednesday. 

Maybe speak to your Breast care nurse to get more info if you’re uncomfortable with it x

Lucky2112
Posted by

Ahh Thank you for your reply.

I will call the breast care nurses tomorrow & see what they say xxx 

Hope yours settles soon x

Beachwalker19
Posted by

No problem Lucky2112, 

Let us know how you get on. Thankyou, mine does appear to have eased overnight, I’m sticking with manual massage for now.

Fingers crossed for you

Best Wishes x

TheScriptFan
Posted by

Thank you for putting this on. 

I had a lumpectomy and 4 lymph nodes removed on the 7th January. Awaiting results but i won't get mine until 5th February.

I have had no pain or anything until yesterday when i started with a pain in my arm pit. I'm thinking now that it could be a seroma. I've googled (i know i shouldn't) and it does say they normally start a week after the procedure. I am managing my exercises ok but hardly slept last night because of the pain. If i lift my arm i have a big lump but not so noticeable when my arms down. I have rung the hospital and spoke to my breast care nurse and she has said to take dressings off and if it still hurts in a couple of days to give then a ring back.

I put a cold corn bag under my arm in the night but can't say it helped, ibuprofen and paracetamol doesn't seem to be touching it either. Hopefully someone will come along with some advice soon.

If its hurting right now, it's gonna make us who we are, it's written in the scars   "The Script"

Beachwalker19
Posted by

I looked up Lymphoedema (swelling of the Lymphatic system) when this happened to me and found Lymphatic massage helpful after the drainage.

Hope you find something to ease it x

Lucky2112
Posted by

Think mine started quite soon after surgery but I just thought it was swollen from surgery- I could even see mine when my arm was down was almost coming out the side & just got bigger by the day  

Spoke to my breast care nurse today & she told me to go down. They have drained it & it feels sooooo much better although a bit sore- Hoping to get a good nights sleep tonight She did say it might come back but they don’t like to drain them too often because the body needs to learn to drain it itself. Fingers crossed  

Keep an eye on yours - I hope it sorts itself out & you find yourself comfy again soon x