Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Post radiotherapy pain

Gummybear1
Posted by

Hi I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in August 2017 at the age of 48 . I have come through chemotherapy, radiotherapy and I am now on Herceptin injections. I finished my radiotherapy last March but I am still getting breast and chest pain. I have mentioned this to my surgeon and oncologist and have been told its due to the radiotherapy. I was just wondering how long this is likely to last?????

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

I'm sorry to read that you're still getting breast and chest pain. Unfortunately I can't answer your question but I noticed that your post had gone unanswered.

You could try posting this question in the main breast cancer group as it's a more active group than this one. I'm also tagging fellow Community Champions , , and into my reply to you in case they are able to offer any advice.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

jmp
Posted by

Hi  

I was told by a consultant that my post Radiotherapy chest pain is Tietze’s syndrome.  The pain I experience is like a deep bruise being prodded. For example if my cat puts one of her small light paws on my Lumpectomy op  breast it is painful. 

My radiotherapy too place Dec- Feb 2013-14.

I also found out that 8 marker clips ( tiny) were left in my breast post op. I asked the consultant what the white dots were on an X-ray he was looking at. This was news to me. So not sure if the marker clips are a contributing factor to the pain too.

If you have a breast care nurse maybe you could ask her for information or a leaflet on post radiation side effects both short and long term. 

You could in addition  ask the Oncologist about post X Ray side effects eg Tietze’s syndrome ? Also about recommended pain control. 

Judith xx

Gummybear1
Posted by

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I will contact my breast nurse and see what she can tell.

Regards