Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

First Chemo today, kids just gone to school in tears, feeling rubbish!

Beachwalker19
Posted by

Hi all,

First Chemo day, don’t really know what to expect. Going to try cold cap but did go to get a wig yesterday, which will be ready to pick up on Saturday. 

My kids are 15 and just turned 13, I feel they are struggling which is upsetting me more than the thought of the chemo. I wanted to protect them from all this, I know i can’t but that’s my job as a mum isn’t it.

Do they do blood tests on chemo day? I went last Friday for bloods because I was suppose to be starting Monday but my appointment was changed to today so just wondering if they will repeat it. 

Wishing you all well x

TheScriptFan
Posted by

so sorry i have only just seen this. 

When ever i went for my chemo i had my bloods done before, but it was an half hour journey away. I know some hospitals do it the day before so all different but i guess you'll know the answer to that question by now. 

My kids are a bit older than yours well mine aren't kids 21 and 24 but i found being honest with them is the best thing, then they don't make assumptions of whats happening. With my FEC i found the first week poopy, second week not so poopy and week 3 back to normal (if you can be while dealing with all this) i think once your first is over and you know what to expect its easier for everyone. Your kids will get you through this, i am so proud of my two they have gone about and beyond anything i would have ever expected.

I remember my first i was a wreck, i sat down on the chair and the nurse showed me the red drug and the syringe and said to me "This is what kills the Ba****d" and how right she was. My MRI when my treatment ended showed NO cancer showing, so when you get the bad days try to tell yourself its the drugs doing their job.

Hope all went ok, make sure you take your anti sickness meds and get kicking arse!!!!!

If its hurting right now, it's gonna make us who we are, it's written in the scars   "The Script"

Beachwalker19
Posted by

Hello,  Thank you for your. message.Im back from first Chemo and apart from a small wobbly at the start of the infusion, had to stop as I felt a bit woozy, obs done and were fine, restarted and all ok.

I used the cold cap and Like most ppl say after 10 minutes it was fine, I was shaking though but with a heat pad and some blankets it was alright.

I have deep veins so was a bit of a challenge to get the cannula right, typical me.

i have injection to give myself which I wasn’t expecting and not sure how I feel about yet.

Glad your mri scan was clear it’s a relief I’ve had lots of different scans heart, abdominal chest and bone all mine were clear thankfully. 

Wishing you well x

TheScriptFan
Posted by

The injections  I wasn’t warned about them either but they’re a doddle once you get use to sticking a needle in yourself. 

None of mine hurt at all, although I do have plenty of blubber to inject into. Take it out the fridge half an hour before you do it then it doesn’t sting and I was told to do mine before bed as sometimes they can make you feel achey. If you do it before you go to sleep you might not feel the aches I never did. 

If its hurting right now, it's gonna make us who we are, it's written in the scars   "The Script"

Beachwalker19
Posted by

Thanks for tips.

I Will remember to take them out of fridge. Thank you. They mentioned it could sting.

My hubby offered to do the injections, not sure how I feel about that either haha. Will defo do them before bed. Ta x