Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Hospital Bag

Woody47
Posted by

So it may seem a silly question but what are the must haves in my hospital bag? Mastectomy, node removal and and temporary implant in 18 days - getting prepared! 

Johnty
Posted by

First of all good look with your treatment , I have blood cancer and had a 3 week hospital stay earlier this year. I would recommend the following in your bag. Toilet roll, a hand mirror, a fleece throw, hospital blankets are not very warm and a throw is handy if you are out of bed and sitting in a chair. Maybe your own pillow if allowed, baby wipes if you can't have a full shower, and the obvious things like crosswords, books, an iPad and earphones if you have one. I find using the iPad makes time fly by if you are waiting around a lot or wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep, some of your favourite snacks, in case you don't feel like eating full meals. Oh and your sense of humour !!!!!! And the Patience of a saint  L.O.L.  I hope this is of some use to you. 

J
Leolady56
Posted by

Front opening pjs just in case you are there a while or is it just a one day??

Comfy easy to put on slippers or even flip flops. Not easy to bend to put them on and same for shoes to go home in

Think about your clothes to go home in pull ins and elastic waists, button up front 

Big girl knickers !!! To help you through it all

Leolady56

What is a Community Champion? How to add to you profile Life is like a boxing match, defeat is declared not when you fall ..... But when you refuse to stand up again ....... So, I get knocked down but I get up again. x

Disconnected
Posted by

My wife was very glad she had front opening pj's. Made it much easier, also see if you can get a decent dressing gown with a pocket.  If you have to have a drain, like my good lady did, then it gives you somewhere to put the bag without having to carry it.  Makes taking a walk much easier.

Good luck x

wombat.23
Posted by

Hiya,

Trying to think of things not mentioned yet. Lip balm as your lips can get dry and sweets to suck on when you wake up after anaesthetic. Moisturiser for your skin. Face wipes. Definitely front opening pj/top and sports bra/post surgery bra. Ideally get a front fastening bra. When I went to my appointments after surgery, I found it helpful to wear a strappy top that I could just peel down afterwards. 

Ear plugs/ eye mask if staying the night - always one snorer .

My bcn came round with a bag to carry the drains and a little cushion made by hospital volunteers. Maybe ring bcn and ask if you get given a drain bag? If not and you are going to have a drain, kook up drain dollies on google. 

Also I found having some dry shampoo for the few days when you get home useful, as I couldn't easily lift my arms up to wash my hair.

Cwtches,

Gay xxx