Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Excercise with seroma after mastectomy and SN biopsy

Sunnyone
Posted by

Morning, I had a mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy  two weeks ago and did not have a drain put in (Im fine with this decision by the surgeon as there were advantages) however I developed quite a significant seroma immediately after the surgery while still in the hospital. Two weeks down the line I would say the seroma is my main problem and the discomfort, particularly in the evening is getting me down. I think tbat I would sleep better and feel less evening anxiety if I was getting more exercise in the day - particularly walking and a little gentle session on an excercise bike. Does anyone know if this is likely to make the seroma worse? 

Thanks so much.

Counting my blessings.
Blossomdeary
Posted by

Hello Sunny, I also had a mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy two weeks ago. I did have a drain which I found increasingly uncomfortable to sleep with. It was removed on day 7 . I  have had a significant seroma which I had drained yesterday at breast clinic. I have been doing my physiotherapy post op exercises and have found it beneficial and uplifting to go for short walks in the fresh air. I am also finding it beneficial doing meditation and simple restorative yoga. At this stage I am not doing any household chores or lifting. I hope your discomfort improves soon.

Sunnyone
Posted by

Hiya. I love the priorities. Do you have a link to the restorative yoga? Im not feeling too confidemt about my limits but have liked yoga in the past and would like to start incorporating some.

Nice to meet someone on the same timescale. What are you doing for pain relief? I have been using paracetamol and ibuprofen with a little codeine occasionally. Still going which is frustrating as Id hoped that week 1 to week 3 would be more of a contrast. 

Also, are you a Blossom Dearie fan? 

Counting my blessings.
Blossomdeary
Posted by

Hi again ! I am no good at sending links but if you google restorative yoga for breast cancer you will be able to choose what suits you best and moves you feel confident  doing at this early stage. I have had  to use ibuprofen and paracetamol . When I had my drain out my hip had been taking all the discomfort for the opposite side and I really had to make a conscious effort to realign my frame and use my core. I felt like a very old lady and I was in a lot of pain which was nothing to do with operation. Now I have found some exercises to counteract any discomfort I still feel at times and I try not to take tablets if possible. On Christmas Eve I felt quite well and stupidly over did things by doing a little cooking and washing up. What a mistake . My seroma swelled up big time. I felt very emotional and couldn’t stop crying. It’s taken me until yesterday to feel better again. I thought I would feel better than I do by week 3 . I now realise taking things a day at a time is the way forward and exercise however gentle helps me physically and emotionally.  

It’s nice to talk with someone in similar boat and timescale to me. I don’t feel so alone.

I have liked Blossom Dearie since the 60’s . I love all music especially jazz. What are your favourites?

Sunnyone
Posted by

My favourite has always been 'I won't dance' but I love all of her best of album - the CD with the blue cover and the picture of her. Mind you praps I should get back into Amelia Rodriguez who I also loved at the same time! I like music very much and have been meaning to listen while I walk but keep forgetting.

I totally identify with the cooking and washing up problems. I was very frustrated by my inability to peel potatoes the other day. I can manage noodle stir fries as long as I accept unpeeled carrots!

I've been to see a nurse today about the discomfort in the seroma and she said that progress will be forward and backward abd that is ok. That makes a lot of sense to me. What has amazed me is the impact that confidemce has on how I'm doing - there seems to be a complex feedback loop between how Im doing and my confidence. Certainly she wasnt worried that Im where I am on week 3 - I hope you find that reassuring too. 

Best wishes for today - do stay in touch!

Counting my blessings.
Blossomdeary
Posted by

Hello, I hope your seroma is settling down. I find mine tends to feel tighter in the evening. 

Today I found Amelia Rodregiez on Spotify - I really enjoyed listening to her. Thank you for mentioning !

My youngest daughter has been stopping with me since my operation. Today she returned home  so I have been keeping myself busy. I went for a walk and fed the ducks and have been reading and playing music. Tomorrow my eldest daughter is visiting and I am looking forward to seeing my grandchildren. We will all go for a walk.

I hope to here from you again. Enjoy your weekend.

Sunnyone
Posted by

Morning, 

It sounds like a nice way to keep busy. My hubby and son have gone to a wedding which is a 4 hour drive away so I excused myself as long journeys in the car are unappealing.

Things are good though- it is nice to be on my own a little though it is a little bit of a discipline to stay busy. I have mostly been doing a jigsaw and watching Jonathan Creek episodes on Netflix! I'm enjoying the relaxation. 

The seroma might be settling down - it is hard to tell sometimes what yesterday was like! I completely agree that it is worse in the evening and it is becoming more predictable. I certainly feel more confident about what is going on than I did so that is really an end in itself. I'm constantly amazed how much difference confidence makes to this whole experience. Im going to try a longer walk tomorrow and today enjoy lunch with a friend. 

I hope you enjoy your daughter's visit. Best wishes for a lovely couple of days.

Counting my blessings.
Sunnyone
Posted by

Hi ,

How are you doing today? 

I have been to Howarth to be a tourist. It was a lovely outing- I hope that you are well.

Counting my blessings.
Blossomdeary
Posted by

Good morning Sunnyone,

I also made a visit to Howarth. It was one summer weekend about fifteen years ago and I really enjoyed it. 

Ihave only read two of the Bronte novels , Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre . At the moment I am halfway through reading Untold Stories - Alan Bennett  along with a very light hearted romance by Katie Fforde. I discovered her books recently while  I was in hospital 

Now I am going to do my physio exercises and go for a walk.

Its nice to hear from you . I hope you are well. Do keep I touch.