Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Newly diagbosed

ShellM77
Posted by

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with breast cancer about 2 weeks ago.  The cancer has already spread to my lymph nodes so am awaiting a CT scan and bone scan to see if spread anywhere else.  I feel as if I am in limbo waiting for the results.  I can accept the cancer so far and the treatment and surgery but the thought of it spreading elsewhere really frightens me.

GRANNY59
Posted by

Hi ShellM77 welcome to the forum.

The  waiting around for results is the pits and no amount of wishing the time away makes it go any quicker unfortunately.

It is not uncommon in Breast Cancer for Lymph nodes to be involved sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. The CT and Bone Scan will give them some indication as to what is going on  but this could still prove to be negative and show no spread at all.

Have they indicated how many lymph nodes might be involved?

Sorry not to be of more help to you and hope that this all turns out to be as good a picture as it can be and please keep in touch and let us know how you get on as we will be thinking of you.

Sending some huge big hugs for now. xxxxx  

Sparkle81
Posted by

Hi I'm so sorry that you find yourself here but it's a great place to let off steam and ask questions.

I agree with that the waiting is the worst part. From what I can understand, it is pretty standard practice to have the MRI & CT scan and it is unfortunately fairly common to have lymph node involvement. The idea that it has spread is terrifying and I think that we have all experienced that fear. Try and keep as busy as you can while you wait for the results and try and avoid googling (easier said then done!) If you can't resist doing your own research, try and stick to reputable sites like this one, cancer research UK, the NHS etc. 

If it makes you feel any better, I had a huge tumour (nearly 10cm) and lymph node involvement too. I have just undergone a gruelling but doable 7 rounds of chemo and am just about to have my mastectomy and full node clearance. The oncologist can't make any promises of course but he is confident that they will have got it all soon and I will hopefully be cancer free in the new year. I am thankful for my lymph nodes holding on tightly to the little b*****r and stopping it from going any further!

Sending you lots of hugs xx

ShellM77
Posted by

Hi,

Thank you for the replies.  I received a letter asking me to attend to find out my results on 21 Dec.  The hospital then called today to move it 28 Dec!  I asked if they could give me an indication of the CT and Bone scan results as the waiting over Christmas is horrid.  I then received another call later this morning to ask me to attend on 20 Dec!  I am pleased it has been brought forward but now worried as to what they will say!  I guess nothing on this journey is easy.