Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Gp referred me to breast c clinic and im scared!

Happyland123
Posted by

I hope this is OK to post here,

I'm 29. Had a small lump in my right breast for about a month, didn't think much of it just assumed it would go. This last week I've noticed my breast is now larger and doesn't fit in my bra, the lump is still there, like a hard pea size lump and there is thickness to this breast apposed to the other which is squishy. Anyway, showed hubby last night and he couldn't believe how much bigger the boob was and told him about the lump he made me phone the gp this morning and she had a really good feel around ect. She said the right is very different to the left, there is definitely a lump and it's definitely larger and there is alot of thickness to the breast, she's referring me to the breast cancer clinic and I should be seen around Christmas but she hopes my appointment will be just after. She then went on saying she will be there and support me ect. And that they are a lovely team. 

Now I know this dr well as she sees me often and my children ect. I've never seen her so serious and concerned. My mind is going over time. Clearly I'm not going to be non the wiser for a while but looking for support, others stories, what will happen at the clinic ect or if any one has had symptoms similar to me??

Thank you xx

Warrior2912
Posted by

Hi last year I had a small pea lump in my breast (right) and seen women’s health in July was told it’s prob benign just keep an eye come back in 6 months. The lump still there and itchy, had a scan and biopsy 13th Dec and results 29/12 it was cancer, had all the treatment mastectomy, chemo, radiotherapy, hormone therapy & now counselling and waiting for more surgery for cosmetic reasons being as I’m only 29 too. 28 on diagnosis so far so good through all the treatment, 1st scan is jan. Everyone has different outcomes no one has the same but any questions please ask. I hope yours is benign. Thank you x

Happyland123
Posted by

Thank you, I'm still trying my best to keep positive although my mind is so scared. Im sorry they made you wait that time that's so sad and I'm glad your in the way to recovery now that's amazing.

It's waiting that's horrible, I just want to know although the other part of me doesn't want to know because if it's not the news is want I don't want it to spoil Xmas.

X

Warrior2912
Posted by

What ever the outcome I’m sure you will be fine. If your don’t have an appointment yet then likely will be after Xmas you get results biopsy’s take a week or 2 for results to come back x

GRANNY59
Posted by

Hi Happyland123 I see that you have already had some warm welcomes to the forum and thats great,

When you go to the breast clinic you will be seen by one of the Doctors there and they will examine you again. They will then send you for  Mammogram and dependant on what that shows they may do an ultrasound and also maybe want to take a biopsy to confirm what that lump actually is. This is all done in the same place and on one day.

Any Doctor would be concerned when they see someone present with your symptoms but and at your young age but they have done the right thing in referring you to the Breast Clinic as this is where the knowledge and expertise is that you need to find out what this is for you.

It is a scarey time for you right now and your mind will be all over the place but the only thing to do is to get through a day at a time and hopeful that appointment will come through before Xmas for you.

Its difficult to speculate what that could be but it could be lots of things but you should,have some indication before you leave the breast clinic what their thoughts are although again they will not be able to be absolutely certain unitil the biopsy results come back.

Pleas stay OFF the internet it is often unreliable and can make a scarey situation many times worse. Why not pop over as has been suggested already and join the Breast Cancer chat there and please do keep in touch and let us know how you get on as we will be thinking of you.

Meantime Im sending some huge big hugs for now. xxx