Breast cancer for the under-50s

Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people with a diagnosis feeling isolated. This group is a place for them to come together, share experiences and support each other.

Diep reconstruction

Moolia
Posted by

Hi ladies I will be due to have breast reconstruction early next year and still can’t decide what I want . The diep flap sounds good as I need a little tummy tuck but I don’t know if I’m keen on the look of it all. I’m torn whether to ask about implants .  How did you ladies make this decision and are you happy with your new boobs?

regards 

Moolia

curlybird
Posted by

Hi Moolia

like you I am hoping for reconstruction next year. I am lucky that our local hospital had an evening where you can meet in a group and talk to a plastic surgeon. But more importantly some lovely kind ladies are willing to show you their results of different surgeries. The Diep flap sounds but also looks amazing. The breasts look very natural and apart from little scarring you would not know. Some of these ladies also have nipple tattoos which look completely real. There seem to be few negatives other than the huge operation :(

I was able to compare this to implants but the diep flap looked more natural. I saw several examples of implants and diep flaps

I appreciate we all have different views and needs and I realise some ladies prefer the implants also. The operation appears to be more straightforward.

Good luck xx

lily0403
Posted by

Hello. My mum had the Diep operation and yes hers look very natural, she had her nipples tattooed on and they look very real. I however had implants as i didnt have enough skin or fat to do the diep! (Lucky me)! Ive not had the nipples done yet as i only had the recon in September.  My new boobs are a nice shape and pert. They are also fairly hard to touch and they dont wobble or move, I am very pleased with them though. I hope this information has been helpful. 

Moolia
Posted by

Hi thank you for this post. I’m seeing my breast surgeon on the 4th December so I’m going to have this discussions with her and then hopefully speak to my plastic surgeon. Did you have any fat taken from back or thigh? 

Moolia

lily0403
Posted by

No i didnt but my mum did. Mine are all implants. X