Bereaved spouses and partners

A place for widows and widowers to share their feelings and support one another.

Books about bereavement and grief

occupation2heal
Posted by

Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask about any recommendations for books people have found helpful. A couple of people have mentioned reading about bereavement and grief and I would be grateful for recommendations. My son’s girlfriend gave me a book called Grief Works by Julia Samuel. Another friend recommended Grief is the thing with feathers by Max Porter. 
I want to say I hope you’re all having an ok Tuesday though I’m sure some of us, many of us, are not. Also, wishing you all a good sleep tonight.

Alison 
Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm
Lavender1969
Posted by

Good sleep to you ALL too and a brigther day tomorrow. 

Andrea xxx

• Andrea
Dalia
Posted by

The one that I found most helpful was "It's Ok that you're not Ok: Meeting grief and loss in a culture that doesn't understand" by Megan Devine. 

I also liked " Rabbit cake" by Annie Hartnett, a bit lighter but interesting.

Dalia xx

limbo
Posted by

I read On Grief and Grieving and Life After Death by Kübler-Ross. She's recognized as the grief expert who developed the 5 stages of grief.There are lots of stories relating people's experiences in the first book. Life After Death is more about near-death experienes and proof that there is an afterlife and that our loved ones continue living but in another dimension.  I recently read Finding Meaning: The Sixth Stage of Grief. Another one was On Death and Dying where you see the process from the patient's point of view. I didn't read that right away; I did so about 10 months after. To tell the truth, I cried through the books and probably need to read them over. No, that's not true, I probably know the 1st one by heart - read it over a million times.

occupation2heal
Posted by

Thanks everyone for these suggestions.

Alison 
Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm