We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Bereaved family and friends

For anyone who has lost a family member or friend to cancer to share their feelings and support one another.

Mum

Dear72
Posted by

Hi there my mum died on 23 March from cancer, the first week I felt numb, then I went back to work, after 3days I broke down at work. I spoke with my work they said not to come back till after the funeral which was on 9 April. I went back after Easter which was  3days, but this week I'm struggling, I feel very sad low and empty, worried about work. 

Cupoftea
Posted by

Firstly I am so sorry for your loss.

Sometimes work can be a distraction and can help provide some form of routine and 'normality'. 

I do not know whether your work are supportive or can offer/provide you with time off in the short term?I lost my sister last September and took 3 months off work but recognise and am very lucky as my employer was very supportive with no pressure to return until I felt ready. 

I do not know whether your work are supportive or can offer/provide you with time off in the short term? Whether this is feasible for you? 

I have found that my stability comes and goes in waves and is completely uncontrollable. Some days I feel completely able and other days I cannot function and spend the day distraught. 

I have learnt to listen to myself and allow myself to feel and process the emotions and information. 

Be kind to yourself. xx