Bereaved family and friends

For anyone who has lost a family member or friend to cancer to share their feelings and support one another.

Grieving

Amelia 79
Posted by

My Step Dad just passed away from a very short but aggressive illness with secondary cancer in his lung. He only walked into A&E with a chest infection 3 weeks before. My Mum is in shock and I'm finng it really hard to console her. She has so many barriers that she won't let me past and insists she's fine. But it is obvious that she is purely broken. I'm finding it so difficult inbetween normalife with a family of my own and trying to spend time with her when she is so resistant to help. I worry so much  .x

Hope_29
Posted by

So sorry to hear the passing of your Step Dad. You and your Mum must be in total shock right now and your Mum sounds understandably traumatised and maybe not ready to talk about things yet. I guess all you can do is be led by her, so if she says she’s fine or hides away leave her be for a day or so and then try again. Maybe leave her something like a homemade meal or a note to say you will be there for her when she needs you. I hope someone is there to help you if you need it too x