Bereaved family and friends

For anyone who has lost a family member or friend to cancer to share their feelings and support one another.

My hero is dying.

CraigyT
Posted by

I'm 32, who hasn't settled down yet, but iv just had what feels like a sledgehammer to the chest news that my beloved dad has brain cancer and only has months to live. I'm so lost atm.

DaveyBo
Posted by

Hi CraigyT

Welcome to the community.  I'm sorry to hear about your dad.  It sounds like you have a strong bond with him and you will both know how the other is feeling without saying anything.  This page will give some great advice on what to expect and what to do.  You don't mention if you have any other family members (siblings) who can help you through this.  Do you have a real true best friend who will be there for you if you just want to let your emotions go and they will totally understand?  Use this area link then enter your postcode to see if there are any support groups near you.  When ever you have contact with any of your dads medical team ask them as many questions as you need to as often as you need to so you get a full understanding of everything.  You could also ask them for some emotional support at times - they are all fully trained for this as well as the medical side.  Please feel free to post here whenever you want to and someone will respond.  This blog has some very useful information and lots of links that will give even more details of what to expect.  You can call the support team on 0808 808 0000, 7 days a week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm for a free confidential chat.

Hope this helps and sending you a big hug.

David

What is a Community Champion?

CraigyT
Posted by

I have 2 brothers (I'm the eldest) so I'm trying to stay calm around them, my mum who I love dearly is already heartbroken and I don't want 2 make it worse (she knows I'm struggling but not how much I actually am), so I have family. My friends have been great but none of them have lost or losing a parent (they have lost grandparents), which is upsetting (I know) but it's different to losing your mum and dad. I know time is the meant 2b the best healer but I'm just stuck in darkness atm. thank you 4 replying, il take a look at the support thats available 2 me.

faye43
Posted by

Hi, 

So sorry for your situation,  I lost my lovely Mum 3 months ago.  It’s such a difficult and dark place to be and you’re right that unless you’ve been through it ,  you can’t quite understand how hard it is to have a parent who is poorly like this. It definitely helps a little bit to talk to those who have experienced this ,  and this is a great place to offload,  as I have found out in the past weeks. 

Sending you lots of love 

Faye x